Best stylus?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by rekhyt, Aug 19, 2012.

1. macrumors 65816

Jun 20, 2008
    Part of the old MR guard.
    Hello guys. I've been out of the loop in terms of information about the iPad for a while and would like to consult you guys about the best stylus for iPad.

I want to use it to draw some diagrams in apps like Penultimate.

Thanks in advance.
  2. macrumors 65816

May 17, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    1. Wacom Bamboo Stylus
    2. Studio Neat Cosmonaut - great for diagramming, not so good for writing though.
    3. Applydea Maglus

You're welcome.
  3. macrumors newbie

Aug 16, 2012
    What you all think about this stylus: It's not out yet but in September it will be the thinnest stylus on the market. 4mm, which is minimum radius for iPhone screen.
  4. macrumors regular

Oct 1, 2011
    I've been thinking of ordering that one as well.

I've also tried the ifaraday and i like it a lot, it's my go to stylus right now. i've tried the bamboo and the joy factory davinci, but so far, i like ifaraday the best.
  5. macrumors member

Jul 3, 2012
    Same here, though I got a Hand Stylus on preorder. Ifaraday is the best so far for me in responsiveness and quality/longevity of the tip.
  6. macrumors regular

Apr 15, 2011
  7. macrumors 6502a

Aug 15, 2007
    My current favorite is the Adonit Jot Touch. The pressure sensitivity is nice, but even if the app you're using don't support it, the spring-loaded tip is great.
  8. macrumors member

Feb 5, 2012
    The Gulf Coast
    Just got the LunaTik TouchPen (what's the deal with TwoWords strung together with capital letters anyway). It's my new favorite and I highly recommend it.
  9. macrumors 6502

Nov 27, 2008
    The Gosmart stylus Is the best I have ever used.

I have had a wacom bamboo, and an adonit Jot Mini

The gosmart sends them back to the store return

I got the 300 for drawing, and its sweet for that, but its smaller than I thought it would be its about the size of a standard pen.

I am going to order a 200 next.

they both have magnets tapped in to stick to a smart cover.

the tip is not perfect, but I am beginning to think that unless apple comes up with something or licenses wacoms real penabled technology, this one is about as close as it gets.

Its much much quieter than the Jot. Plus It doesn't scratch the screen protector like the Jot did. (granted I only paid a buck for the screen protector)

but you can really see what your doing much better than even the Jot. the spring is really flexible so you can tilt it all around in most angles, I have not tried anything extreme. I have noticed some apps are better than others for precision. penultimate is awesome with it. Wacom has a really good note/sketching app that free to boot. Plus its solid aluminum except the tip and cap.
  10. macrumors regular

Oct 1, 2011
    Very tempted to get this, do you know how well this works with an anti glare screen protector on?
  11. macrumors regular

Jan 24, 2007
  12. macrumors 6502

Jun 29, 2010
    This is the one I am waiting on
    This seems to be a perfect stylus.
    I also like and own the ten one pogo pro.
    The Adonit jot was awful as was the service.
  13. macrumors member

Feb 16, 2010
    Adonit Jot Pro user here, and pretty happy with it! Extremely precise for use on a touch screen :)
  14. chris7777, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2012

macrumors 6502

Nov 27, 2008
    All I have had is a cheapo but decent for a buck screen protector on it.

It should work ok, the metal "tip" is supposed to be Teflon coated.

Its not perfect, none of them are true to center, jots the same way, its off.

But Its the best I've tried so far. for writing and detail work. I literally sold my wacom cintiq and got an ipad with the proceeds, and its obviously not the same, but I think I can make it work, given the sheer number of excellent apps, but I wanted portability, and the ipads screen absolutely trounce the cintiq. The stylus is close though. I know Unless apple ends up licencing, or coming up with their own technology that will allow a true pointed stylus, this or something like the Jot will probably be the best ones for precision. wacom and the hand stylus are still basically eraser tips. And they do work ok, but I can make lines touch, and run parallel much easier than with the bamboo.

how well do the antiglare screen protectors work btw, I am beginning to have issues with the glare. Plus I imagine that would make it seem that much more like paper.
  15. macrumors regular

Oct 1, 2011
    interesting, because i had the zagg hd on my new ipad and my wacom bamboo stylus was kind of laggy for most writing/sketching apps so i tried ifarady and other "microfiber" like tips and it was better but still not great, how does this compare? is there any lag? meaning the stylus would be ahead of the line that's being drawn by an inch or so
  16. macrumors 6502a

Sep 3, 2009
    Florida's Treasure Coast
  17. macrumors 65816

Mar 17, 2009
    Wash, DC Metro
  18. macrumors 6502

Nov 27, 2008
    Sorry It took forever to reply , I missed where you asked me.

I would like to try a microfiber stylus myself, I still haven't seen one, I will probably order the best reviewed one I can find and see .

as for Lag, Some of it depends on the app. I was doing writing and sketching test, and I noticed some apps were jittery while others were much smoother and precise.

Nothing I have tried has been perfect. I tried writing small like 4 Millimeters or so. And straight lines seemed ok, but making loops for my d's and e's etc, would be off. The cross-hairs of the stylus are on an 8 mm diameter disk with a 2 mm wide center circle where the spring sits with cross-hairs the wire is either half or a third a mm wide so its pretty small.

I just ran some test with a few note apps, and noticed the alignment shifts I need to check and see if its my ipad, or something inherent in apples digitizer programming. I started off testing goodnotes and notability, and both seemed to be approximately 1mm shy of dead center, so just at where the crosshair touches the center circle on the "north" end of it. But on testing inknotes hd, it shifted, which it also lags more than the other 2 apps. Interesting thing is I went back to the other 2 apps and noticed shifting as well, so holding the ipad vertically and drawing toward the left side makes the center shift 2-3 mm to the left, and the same with the right .
    Also noticed similar shifting top and bottom, and even in horizontal rotation.

I'm gonna check with the designer and see if he notices it. I just double checked it is not just this stylus my caselogic does similar but its not as easy to see. May have to start a new thread.
  19. macrumors member

Oct 24, 2012
    Sensu Brush if you like painting. It has 2 styluses in one. A brush for painting, and an actual rubber point. It's extremely high quality and works great!

I bought it for $20 because I supported it on Kickstarter but now it's $39.99.
  20. macrumors demi-god

Feb 24, 2008
    Washington DC

It's a sylus/pen combo - and with the code FreeZoogueAccessory costs you shipping and handling ($3.99). And it's a good stylus (and pen)
  21. macrumors 68030

Jun 19, 2010
    Ft Lauderdale
    have about 15 stylii at home and at work - ifaraday is the best
  22. macrumors 68000

Sep 8, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I got a Adonit Classic, and I really like it so far. Got it open box for $15 at MicroCenter.
  23. davideotape, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012

macrumors 6502

Nov 16, 2012
  24. macrumors regular

Oct 3, 2009
    bamboo a little disappointing

Been using the Bamboo solo for about a week. I had read up quite a bit and the decision came down to Jot Pro and Bamboo. For me however the Bamboo is a little disappointing because it has begun skipping when using with the soft nib (with the Bamboo Paper app) and the firm nib doesn't glide well.

I kind of wish I'd have gone with the Jot pro because of its precision along and because it is magnetic and will attach itself to the iPad. The new Hand mentioned above is now another contender. 4mm is really nice and fine. Fine woodworkers use either a sharp knife or a 5mm pencil for laying out fine cuts such as dovetails, for example.
  25. macrumors 6502a

Sep 23, 2008