Best substitute for Microsoft Word?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bricex, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Bricex macrumors newbie

In your opinion? Im using neo-office at the moment , but it's just really slow at times and it doesn't look amazing either, to say the least

cheers

2. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I use Pages. I've used it for creating manuals, online documents, letters and so on. When needed I just convert to pdf using OS X's inbuilt pdf conversion and everything looks as good as the original Pages document.

3. wallock, Nov 2, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2013

wallock macrumors member

4. polevault139 macrumors 6502

I'll have to agree with Bern i use pages for everything i used Word for when i had a PC. I've heard that the inspector is hard to get used to but i actually found it easier to use then Word

Thats my two cents

5. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

yeah i have to agree. office for mac has been solid for me. even under rosetta, it runs great. i've been looking for a reason to move to pages, but i haven't found it yet.

6. Dubba macrumors regular

Office for Mac works well for me, but I may trryr pages as part of iWork when I get my new laptop.

7. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

NeoOffice is a great replacement for Office. http://www.neooffice.org
    I love it, I use whenever I have to type something that a PC user needs to open, or vice versa. It's free, and uses Microsoft Office file formats.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't notice that you already use NeoOffice. My head is thinking about too many things today, so I must have missed that part of your post. Silly me.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Not really, no. Just because an application tries its best to look like a Microsoft application, and saves to Microsoft file formats by default, doesn't mean it's actually using Microsoft file formats. Only Microsoft can use Microsoft file formats. Everybody else is forced to reverse-engineer them, with varying degrees of success. What NeoOffice and the other Office clones do is a bit of a charade, really.

Which brings us back to the OP's question. It depends on what you mean by "substitute." If you need or want a word processor that looks and behaves like Word, then the clones are your only real choice. But if you're willing to learn a different and for many of us better approach to word processing, then give Pages a try.

9. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

Mellel is a great Word competitor. Try it out.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'd say Pages or NeoOffice which you currently use,

If you want to give Pages now I'd try to wait* for iWork '07 due in January, it should also have Open XML support (Apple are one of the supporters of it) which will mean it will be 100% compatible with Office 2007 (and older versions back to 2000 will get support via a free plugin). Personally I really like Pages and use it as a Word replacement and will probably shell out the £35** for iWork '07 in January.

*I know waiting is rubbish, but still Open XML is worth having ;).

**HE Discount Price

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

A lot will depend on Microsoft's implementation of XML in Word. From what I understand, they will be doing one of their famous "embrace and extend" jobs on the XML format, which means that they will reserve 100% compatibility of Word documents for Word.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

In this case I think Microsoft is doing the right thing, but hey I could be wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Office_Open_XML

13. nplima macrumors 6502a

Hi all

The best replacement for MS Word is learning how to use a word processor :)
    Really.
    If you start your writing work with a text editor and use the word processor only after you're done with the creative bit, you'll find out that you're getting the job done faster, and on top of that, your original text will be easier to format in a consistent and elegant way.

OpenOffice/NeoOffice are of extra use in this matter as their "Stylist" can be "always on top" so the user doesn't feel tempted to adjust every little detail by hand.

14. Bricex thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks. I was just looking to see if there was a respectable alternative to word - it's a little on the expensive side for me.

15. Bricex thread starter macrumors newbie

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

After reading that mumbo-jumbo, who's to say? I'm perpetually suspicious of Microsoft, and especially so when they answer a simple question in a fashion such that hardly anyone understands their actual position. All I can say for certain is that Microsoft fully knows the value of maintaining control of their proprietary file formats. It's the key to keeping their customers from wandering off the reservation.

17. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    My girlfriend has been having a heck of a time using MS office on her intel iMac at her job.

Under Rosetta, she says it "freezes" a lot, Entourage in particular...

I think the fact that MS Office for Mac is still not UB, is complete madness.....

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Maybe it only has 512MB RAM, (check in Apple Menu==>About this Mac) ask for an upgrade to at least 1 to 1.5 GB.

19. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

She's got a gig O' Ram...

20. chasingapple macrumors regular

chasingapple

A great word replacement is AbiWord, free to download and use and fully compatibe with MS Office.

21. monke macrumors 65816

monke

Pages is nice but is different then Word and takes a while to get used to, for me anyway.

Now that I can find everything it is great, although finding out how to double space a paragraph took a while. :p

22. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I also say Apple Pages, part of iWork. At $79, you get Pages, which is pretty nice for word processing, and way better than Word when it comes to page-layout. You also get Keynote, which is roundly better than PowerPoint.

23. theman5725 macrumors 6502

I've been using NeoOffice for awhile now but I'm not impressed. I've been considering buying iWork over MS Office, but I'm still curious about the no spreadsheet thing. Is there a way to create a graph in iWork? (it's the only reason I use excel)

24. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Yes, and extremely nice looking ones at that:

http://www.apple.com/iwork/pages/features/charts.html

Pages and Keynote both have basic table and spreadsheet functions. A full-blown spreadsheet component is rumored to be included with the next release of iWork in 2007.

25. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I'd throw in another vote for Page/iWork. After getting used to it, there's nothing I haven't been able to do that I did in Office.