Best Surge Protector Extention Cord for Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Neonguy, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Neonguy macrumors 6502

Hello,

I want to ask for some suggestion on some of the good Surge Protector Extension cord that is good for Apple Hardware such as Computer and LCD. My mac pro didn't turn on one day and I have to reset it. I notice my ACD 23 sometime flash a little bit too if I have too many plug in to the Extension Power Cord. I have a lot of hardware plug into the Extension Cord like Printer, External Drive, Speaker, etc. I don't want someday a power failure of some kind frieds my Mac Pro and take other things with it. I do have AppleCare. It's just a pain if I ever decided to use it.

I'm using a Belkin Surge Master right now. Can someone recommand me a good one or the one you're using right now that you have great experimence with it?

Thanks

2. generik macrumors 601

generik

The best protector for your Mac is really a UPS, surge protector does nothing for those little spikes in your power :rolleyes:

3. Neonguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Are APC UPS/Surge Protector any good? If I use this or buy the more expensive one that deliver x minutes of backup. Will my electric bill go up?

4. generik macrumors 601

generik

APC ones are great. I'd recommend a SmartUPS as they do line power filtering too.

5. Neonguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! I will keep that in mind. That's a bit pricey for me though. Only looking for a good one that price range from $35 - $50.

6. furious macrumors 65816

furious

so you spend 2500$ on a MacPro? and you only want to spend 35-50$ on insurance:rolleyes:

7. generik macrumors 601

generik

Remember to get the SmartUPS ones if you are getting :cool:

Apparently there are some differences between how UPSes work, the cheaper ones would kinda route the power to the output and the battery at the same time, and quickly switch to battery power when the source gets cut.. these don't really offer much in terms of surge protection. The better ones run everything through the battery first, so the battery takes all the hit :D

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I have the Minuteman 325- seems to work well.