Best Tax Program ????

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chrisfx811, Jan 22, 2003.

1. chrisfx811 macrumors regular

well i tried the search feature and only got 2 threads that were completely useless.
    i run a small-business, and am looking for a really good program to help me do my taxes and organize my bookkeping. any suggestions would be helpful. some basics about my co.:
    10-15 employees
    4 locations (2 states)
    sales approx 750k/yr
    any help is greatly appreciated

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've tried TurboTax (MacInTax) and TaxCut and found them both to be adequate for personal taxes. TurboTax may still come in an industrial-strength version, but I'm not certain. I wouldn't buy it for any other reason. TaxCut was both more reasonable and more pleasant to use.

AccountEdge (M.Y.O.B.) is supposedly excellent but I haven't tried it. I'm really not certain about QuickBooks 5.0. It took Intuit so long to update it that I wonder how far behind it is from the Windows version.

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I've used both MacInTax and TaxCut, but only for personal taxes.

Most of the Intuit TurboTax products are only for Windows. TurboTax Premier Home & Business for Mac ($80), however, is for Mac OS X. For accounting, in addition to QuickBooks, there is QuickBooks Online, which works over the web. Intuit cautions that their Windows products won't run on a Mac under PC emulation.

The H&R Block products are generally cheaper and simpler. You might check out TaxCut Platinum Home & Business ($50), which is only for Windows, or TaxCut Platinum ($50) for Windows or Mac. You can start with their comparison chart.

Apple gives free seminars on MYOB AccountEdge, if you happen to be in the right city. There is also a free online seminar.

Finally, look at Apple's Small Business page.