best thing in rock music since nirvana...

Discussion in 'Community' started by krossfyter, Feb 18, 2004.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

The Mars Volta

http://www.themarsvolta.com/

Don't know if you all have heard of them yet. But this band is changing the scape of music as we know it and a lot of people dont know it. They have a real good chance of subverting the musical system much like Nirvana did back in their day... the rest is up to timming and or the right people and audience chemistry.

I consider these guys the modern day Led Zepplin. (Not saying they are as good or better then Led Zepplin)

2. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Sounds alot like the band At the Drive in, which IMHO are really good. Is the singer the same as Mars Volta? Is this the same band? new name. Wait, just did some research

This just in taken from amazon:

3. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

yeah man... two members (founding members) of at the drive in split. they wanted to create more complex music... they were looking into going really off i guess... get out of that punk box. so they went and created the mars volta. the other ex members from ATDI went off and set up the band called Sparta.
    this band is remarkable. i saw them play in austin and they really show that thier work is really proggressive live. each song melted into the next... hard to tell where one started and stop... definitly not common and not radio friendly. i love it.
    Its really a sound thats hasnt been heard before.

Its music as art.

I like to think of them as an art project.

4. ispeakmango macrumors member

Mars Volta are great! Have you read about their CD. Like what it's all about? Very Interesting. ATDI is good too. If you want to hear some more good music check out www.dischord.com Best record label out there. In particular check out:

Black Eyes
    Fugazi
    MeWithoutYou
    Modest Mouse
    Refused
    International Noise Conspiracy
    Q and not U
    Modey Lemon

Some really good, kind of artsy music there. :D

5. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

6. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Yeah I read the story or concept behind the album. Interesting to say the least. Freaks me out that the the guy they are using (their friend) was so messed up that he was shooting up on rat poison.

Im going to look into dischord.... thanks for the link.

Yeah them bands you listed are really good. I've never heard of "Q and not U" "MeWithoutYOu" nor "Modey Lemon"... going to do some research... thanks.

Refused kicked it off for the contemporary punk acts in my opinion.

7. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

The Mars Volta blows them away in terms of musicality/ artistry and uniquness. Don't get me wrong The White Stripes are good but compared to The Mars Volta its no contest. I mean heres a way to end this... whos sound has generally been done before?

8. Rend It macrumors 6502

Hey, I've been listening to Fugazi for a while (I've seen them live at least 5-6 times), and I've heard some Q and not U, and Modest Mouse. But, I'd really be interested in checking out some other bands. I'm always interested in new music. Despite listening to Fugazi for a long time, I've only recently become acquainted with Radiohead. Before listening to OK Computer and Amnesiac, I just assumed they continued on the path of songs like "Creep". Little did I know that they don't even play those songs anymore live. I've been listening to them for about a year now, I have all of their albums, and I like them as much as Fugazi.

Another awesome Dischord band is Bluetip. Although they broke up (some members have reformed under the name Retisonic), their three main albums are very good (PMA is a collection of b-sides). I actually first learned of them at a show in Cleveland; they were opening for ATDI. ATDI was phenomenal. I'm still trying to warm up to Mars Volta; it's very good, and I like that moiety of ATDI better than Sparta.

Another band that I just got into is a local (as in Denver) group called DeVotchKa. It's not exactly Fugazi, or punk-esque, but if you simply like really good music that has rock/punk elements, then they are the stuff. It's very eclectic, with surprising riffs from an accordian, a tuba and solid percussion. You can d/l songs off of their website, but the last album, Una Volta (not to be confused with Mars volta), is worth every penny.

Well, hopefully you'll have some more suggestions that you think I might like. I'll end by listing some other bands that get the majority of my ear time.

Blue Meanies (best ska/hardcore punk)
    Do Make Say Think (best post-rock band)
    Pixies (back together, at least for now)
    Cocteau Twins
    Interpol

9. AhmedFaisal Guest

Re: best thing in rock music since nirvana...

Uhh, can you exactly tell me what Nirvana did to change the musical system? Besides that frizzo Cobain blowing his brains out cuz he couldn't stand what a drug abusing low life he was? And for the music part, the only thing I noticed that changed was that in Rock there is now even more bands that produce unmelodic noise than before. Sorry to say but some dude screaming his lungs out isn't music its anger issues and call for a therapist not a record label. So if that is what you mean by change, geez, I rather not have more of that....
    Cheers,

Ahmed

10. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Re: Re: best thing in rock music since nirvana...

No need to take it personal. Its just musical discussion.
    I don't care for Nirvanas music either but I do respect thier impact on rock music. What did they do? Simply... Shake sh*t up like no other band.

"Ok almost ten years ago the music world was dominated by terrible sacrine pop music and even more f*cking terrible rock (although there were a few good bands...Faith No More comes to mind). Then, all of a sudden, this band comes blowing in out of Seattle and BOOM things got turned upside down. The next thing you know a stream of Seattle bands (Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Mudhoney...) suddenly made their way into the mainstream, which was soon followed by bands from other areas that had the same sound (Stone Temple Pilots anyone?). Next thing you know: the pop music disappeared off the charts (for the most part) and the hair bands and Adam Curry went off into "Whatever Happened To..." land. (A quick lesson for those to young to remember: Adam Curry was basically the Carson Daly of his time..except with a REALLY bad mullet) Granted, the market got REAL bad..it seemed slimy record producers were giving anyone with a flannel and a beat up Jazzmaster a record deal."

---dr. fever, antimusic.com

Name another band that rock the music world like Nirvana? Nirvana killed the rock music that dominated the 80's.... like it or not. I thought this was common knowledge? I can't believe I am explaining this... it feels so 90's.
    Isn't like a in your home concept already? Did you miss the memo?

11. ispeakmango macrumors member

Yeah you guys really should check out all those bands. MeWithoutYou is probably my favorite. It's like poetry the way the lead singer sings, or talks rather. Black Eyes is probably my second favorite because they are just crazy. Amazing lyrics in their songs if you can catch them. :D

Edit:

Just read the last part of your post Rend It, I saw the Pixies in there. I love them. Great stuff. I also thought of some more bands:

From Autumn to Ashes
    Poison The Well
    Norma Jean

None of those are really in any of the categories of the bands already mentioned but they're still really good, if you don't check any other ones out listen to Norma Jean. And the lead singer of MeWithoutYou sings at the end of one of their songs.

12. Apple //e macrumors 6502

Re: Re: Re: best thing in rock music since nirvana...

the only thing nirvana did was "pop"ularize the indie rock scene that existed since the 1980s. they did not create a style or genre, just launched it into the mainstream.

i guess they killed the cheesy and annoying madonna-esque pop scene of then, but it just created another equally tasteless pop scene with pseudo indie rock bands like pearl jam.

13. Steradian macrumors 6502

ispeakmango, I saw PTW in concert and they aren't THAT great, don't get me wrong, they were pretty goodtimes and thier set was small but they just didn't do it for my like any of the other bans I have seen in concert. I will have to contribute another band to your list of great new bands too lookout for. Abandonded pools, they have some great ****e, check it out. I have never really been a fan of prog, but i were to point out a prog pioneer it would be radiohead, Radiohead will be the forefront for prog for as long as they are around me thinks. Another band that I fancy would be project 86 check em out on the iTMS :)

14. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Re: Re: Re: Re: best thing in rock music since nirvana...

yeah i know.... and the result of this was that it changed the landscape of rock music.

im not trying to stick up for nirvana here... im just stating what is the general consensus. i could care less about nirvana other then that.
    i dont own any copy of thier music in any format for a reason.

15. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

oh hell yeah radiohead is prog. right on.

im surprised someone mentioned project 86 by the way. i've been jamming to them since thier first album put out by BEC Recordings. Odd trip the guys have had... having been indie then corporate and back to indie. Amazing lyrics... really a hidden jewel that not many people "in the know" know about for some reason. Easily some of the best damn lyrics of any hardcore/rapcore band out there right now.

in terms of lyrics..
    Theres Limp Bizkit on one side of the spectrum and then theres Project 86 way on the other side.

16. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Re: best thing in rock music since nirvana...

A little OT but why do people insist on using Real Media?

I want to check out this band but the only *choices* are RM and WMA... I mean jesus, I already don't like this band.

17. ratspg macrumors regular

I consider the rawness of the White Stripes to be something great in rock music. Such Mars Volta is doing it, they are more complex, it sounds great, i love Deloused, but maybe now in 2004 they will be a common word, while the white stripes already are , i like them both but i think the white stripes did something different, different in the sense that we haven't heard this kind of music in a looooooooooong time, and it will bring a more melodic form soon definitely.

18. ispeakmango macrumors member

When was it that you saw PTW? They've gotten a lot softer recently. But there early stuff is really good, Opposite Of December is probably their best CD. But seriously look into Norma Jean if you like hardcore.

www.normajeannoise.com

19. ispeakmango macrumors member

Ratspg, I hardly consider The White Stripes "raw." Granted some of the stuff they do is ok, but it's still been done.

Have any of you guys heard The Mars Volta Tremulant EP? I forgot to mention it, it's only 3 songs but they're all really good.

20. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Wow...

Wow...

Wow...

I'm stupified. How anyone could have taste... THAT BAD, is beyond me.

Wow..

:)

21. ratspg macrumors regular

22. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i'll have to check out norma jean... not a huge fan of poison the well, but admittedly i haven't listened much

i'm looking forward to rise against's new album... curious to see where they'll go now that they got to a big label... not that it's anytime soon, but sometime this year i guess.

also looking forward to seeing bane this month. it's been a while... waiting for boy sets fire to get out and about again as well...

just missed out on seeing stretch arm strong. but they were playing with pennywise... pennywise... hah. it's kinda like the company "independent"... they drum up the same emotion in me... ie, mainstream underground/independent... an oxymoron...

23. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Re: Re: best thing in rock music since nirvana...

So you going to judge a band by the criterion of what format they are using to have people hear thier music?

I hate this too but thats hardly a reason to judge a band. What I do is go and download windows media player for the mac and the problem is solved.

However if you simply cant stand microsoft (like me) and want to be pure from any of thier products or services then this is obviously not for you.

24. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

mars volta is doing something even more different, different in the sense that we haven't heard this kind of music ever.

man people are going to hate me and this band... seeing how im such a zealot about them. guys its cool really.... im just having fun discussing this with you all. no one needs to get all worked up and take things personal... not saying any of you are... just for future reference.

its all in good fun... but in all seriousness believe in the mars volta.

25. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I ordered the album from Amazon cold. If it sucks I will hate you.