Best Time to buy an iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Toddgabweg, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Toddgabweg macrumors member

Jan 17, 2007
    Hi, I am new here (first post), but I need help. I am a mac convert since my school gave us teachers the choice between a mac laptop (ibook G4) or a gateway PC... I went with the laptop several years ago, but I hear we soon will have to turn our laptops in for new ones (this time there will be no choice- just pc laptops with vista)... Anyway I now want to stay with a mac so I will need to buy an iMac for home use- so I can transfer all my iphotos, itunes and imovies to my own new system...

I need to know when the best time to buy an imac... I am really interested in the 24in imac, but since I started looking since Dec. I am not sure when I should get one... I now know that a new OS is due soon as well as an update to ilife... I understand that really anytime you purchase a computer a few weeks later something is released that will be better- new and improved... I just want to make sure I get a good deal at the time of purchase...

I didn't do my research when I purchased an ipod several years ago when I paid $299 for an ipod that viewed photos- shortly after I purchased this then I hear about the new video ipod for the same price... I want to make sure I don't make the same mistake with an imac..

What about Vista??? will it work on an imac??? Is Vista going to be worth it? or will Leopard be better?

If and when I get a 24in imac- what options should I go with? Is $1999 a good deal? Where is the best place to purchase an imac? Apple store?

Sorry for so many questions, but I would appreciate any help.. thanks
  2. iDavidLeeRoth macrumors regular

Sep 4, 2006
    24 inch now!

I couldn't be happier with my system. Fast and beautiful.
  3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    i just purchased another 20 on monday for the 'rents
  4. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Jan 11, 2007
    North Central Florida
    You may have to go thru the Apple Store or to get your Education discount - don't forget about that! If you click on the education section from the home page and you can find out how to go about that.

Enjoy it!!
  5. MSM Hobbes macrumors 6502

Aug 25, 2006
    NE Hoosierana
    Greetings! :)

As to your main question, when is 'best' time to buy,,, altho' I hate it when I hear people reply with "whenever you NEED the computer, buy ut" :mad: :p, that does hold water. However, make sure that, like you pointed about regarding your iPod purchase, that you check to see if the rumours are flapping about 'claiming' that such-and-such model MAY be coming out soon. Also, check the for that advice.

Vista is 'supposed' to be "supported" on Intel Macs. But, I recommend checking out the following, for example, for more news:

As to where to buy: I highly recommend looking at refurbs ['double-checked' and save ~$300, plus 'extras' on occasion]. Mine is a refurb, and there are no regrets at all. Just looked, and there is a 24" for $1700. I'd buy that, get 2GB RAM, and IF needed someday, up the video card too.

PS: sorry to hear about the forced trade-in. BTW, my hat off to ya teachers ;)
  6. lamina macrumors 68000

Mar 9, 2006
    From Canada, living in Seoul
    I personally would wait until Leopard is released... it's coming so soon, and who knows what kind of speed bump is to come...

I won't pretend I do, because I don't. But like I said, Leopard soon, and maybe improvements to Vista virtualization!
  7. veritas macrumors newbie

Mar 22, 2005
    is there a set date for leopard? cuz im on the same boat as this guy..thanx
  8. Keirdre macrumors member

Jan 10, 2007
    My best time was last week.

Delivery is any day now... :D
  9. wazgilbert macrumors regular

Jan 15, 2007
    UK South
    Can you upgrade this card? I thought the form-factor was prohibitive?

Also mulling the options myself! too soon to buy, too late to need it.
  10. Toddgabweg thread starter macrumors member

Jan 17, 2007
    Thanks all for your input... I believe my wife and I will wait til around Easter to buy a 24" imac (unless I hear something big is coming in the summer)... That way we should receive our tax refund, plus we live in PA, but I found an apple store in Delaware near my wife's aunts house (90 minutes away to save close to $200)... saving 6% PA sale tax and plus apple stores will honor my teacher discount...
  11. stadidas macrumors regular

Feb 27, 2006
    Kent, United Kingdom
    Same for me, mine is coming tomorrow!