best time to buy - next year?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by pibble, Nov 3, 2003.

1. pibble macrumors newbie

Hello all..

I am planning to get a Powerbook at some point. I don't have a great immediate need for it now (November), but I will need it by next May or so. I have been a longtime PC user (though I used to have a PowerMac 7100) but recently I have had my eye on the new 15" or 17" PB's.

I don't mind waiting around a few months (post-holidays) if there is a reasonable chance of a price drop on these models (particularly the 17" PB) sometime in the period of Feb - April 2004. I don't know how Apple usually does things, but I would think the price would drop by then. Any thoughts?

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i imagine at least a speed bump for the PB line in Jan. (Mac Expo, no?)

in general, prices don't rise for the current machines. they can only go down. the only time prices go up is if the new line of products have significantly better specs - like recent iBook G4 price increases over iBook G3. (whether such an increase is merited or not is debatable...)

so in your case, just wait until Jan. but after that, i'd get it whenever you want...

lastly: in general, the best time to buy your computer is when you want it. i don't believe in timing the purchases - you will always want the latest and the greatest and those are always coming and prices will also keep on dropping. the only exception with mac is that you know when the big expos are, so i'd avoid purchasing right before such times...

3. Prabz macrumors member

After finding out today that there is going to be a Macworld Expo in early Jan. '04, I have postponed my purchasing plans just in case.... eventhough I'm in the market for a Powerbook 15" {Rumors have imacs for some sort of an update...}. But you never know, there might be something favoring Powerbooks in the bargain:D...

Plus by then, the screen issues with the powerbooks would have been (hopefully) sorted out.

4. Prabz macrumors member

Three questions:
    1) Is the one in January, one of the "big expos" or just a minor event?
    2) Do the major expos happen around the same time each year?
    3) When would the next significant expo occur, tentatively speaking?

5. bastardx macrumors member

1) The one in January is a big expo
    2) They happen every year in January and July.
    3)Early January

6. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

yes, macworld expo in san fran in january is the big one. it takes place every year at that time.

there used to be another big one in july in nyc, but it is on the (steep) decline. i wouldn't expect any future apple product announcements there, as apple probably won't be attending it anymore.

last year apple announced panther and the G5 at their developers' conference, in june i think? whenever it was, it had been pushed back from its original date.

there's also an expo in paris in september and tokyo in march/april i think.

7. dieselg4 macrumors regular

dieselg4

in the same boat, kinda

I'm in the same boat as you, thinking about gettign a powerbook and wondering - what if the next big thing is January?
    I don't keep up with all the chip stuff so well, but my UNEDUCATED guess, is that IF PB's are updated, that it might be some version of IBM's G3 with altivec added to it. I seem to remember awhile back before the iBook g4 revision that IBM had g3's goign upwards of 1.1 ghz, and that the G3 had "lots of life left in it." Since I've also read that Apple expects G4's in PB's for some time yet, I'm thinking its concievable that an altivec G3 could be marketed by Apple as a G4 (or G4+), since what I ahev also read is that G4 development on moto's par has been less than stellar. Let the flames begin! (like i said, I don't really keep up wiht this stuf to well so I'm sure soemone has better input on this.)
    In my case, I'm trying to contain myself and wait untill after the expo. If anything there is more likey to be a few refurbs show up at smalldog or something. As computers go (and cars), they only get cheaper as they age . . . .

8. pibble thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the advice

Thanks to everyone who replied.

I'll probably wait until at least February to see how the situation shapes up.

9. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

A resource that many people seem to overlook is http://buyersguide.macrumors.com .

It lists products and their refresh cycles to give you an idea of whether or not updates might be coming soon.

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Don't put too high hopes on MWSF!!!

I just wanted to say that lately I've read a lot of posts with the comment, "Product 'X' will probably be upgraded at MWSF so you might as well wait". I have no doubts whatsoever that there will be significant news at MWSF, but so far I've heard the following for possibly announcements at MWSF: iPod updates, PowerBook speed boosts, G5 iMacs, PowerMac updates, G5 xServes, new LCDs - quite the list! And if anything I see LCDs and xServes being updated next before anything else...

I'm sure there will be big news at MWSF but I highly doubt all these upgrades will be announced at once. And even if speed boosts are announced, the shipping dates on the new products won't be until 2-3 months later.

Just something to keep in mind. :)

Cheers,
    Scott

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I wouldn't be holding my breath for new 'Books at MWSF in Jan. They were JUST updated after a very long wait, and Apple has made it very clear that they aren't waiting around for Expos to release new stuff. Maybe new displays or updated G5s, but unless Moto has gotten off their butts or IBM has the 750VX ready, I'd say give it about 5 more months. MW Tokyo if they want to do that, or around then just whenever they're ready.

12. pibble thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not so much asking whether new PB models will come out around MWSF. I'm more interested in whether prices ever will drop on the current models BEFORE any "completely new" versions are released. In other words, does Apple only drop the prices when there is a whole new line, such as the move from G3 to G4 powerbooks?
    thanks
    pibble

13. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

No, even when speed-bumped models come out, the previous models get a price-cut. You don't have to wait for an entirely new product line for price-cuts. I'm not sure, however, if you can buy the previous model directly from Apple or if you need to go 3rd party...

14. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

The 12" and 15" PowerBooks were reduced in price in June, before the latest upgrades. If you don't need your computer until February, you might as well wait, as there is may well be a price drop before then, and (possibly) a minor update of some sort.

Pretty much all of Apple's hardware line - iMacs, iPods, PowerBooks, eMacs and iBooks (not to mention Power Macs) - have been updated recently so this is not inconceivable. Most of these will probably be bumped around Jan and Feb.

15. Mantat macrumors 6502a

I think right now is the best time to buy any of apple computer, except maybe the iMac (unless you dont have a screen). All the products accross the line have a reasonable price and good performance. On top of that, there is momentum right now with apple products and its fun to be part of it...

That being said, if you are considering getting a 15", wait till they fix the screen issue or get the 17".

16. pibble thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you refering to the issue of white blotches showing up in some screens? I thought this affected 17" as much as 15" PB's. though I'm far from an expert on the issue.

17. Mantat macrumors 6502a

I only read about it for the 15''...

Ahh.. the joice of the 12''.... ;-)