Best time to buy

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by morkus, Apr 24, 2003.

1. morkus macrumors newbie

Alright, i'm going off to college in the fall, and I'm planning on getting a powerbook (either 15" or 17" - though i haven't written off the possibility of going desktop), but i don't have too much cash to burn. (Actually, i'll be getting it on loans if possible...) What would be the best time to buy? Will there be some pricebreaks anytime soon? Is there a cheaper place than apple.com? Help!

Thanks mucho!

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: Best time to buy

I set up http://buyersguide.macrumors.com to help on this.

The powerbooks are a special case - in that the 15' Powerbooks haven't been updated in a while... but the 12 and 17" recently came out.

If you definately want a 12" or 17" powerbook - get it now... cause these were relatively recently updated.

The 15" is due... and I wouldn't buy one of those now.

arn

3. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Apple controls their prices very well. Usually, you can't get a Mac for much less than the price Apple sets. Just remember, your paying for quality. A Mac is an investment that will last you many years.

Most people seem to believe that the entire PowerBook line will be updated sometime in the summer. Most likely these updates will take place in July at MWNY. The price on the PowerBook's will probably drop, but not by much (maybe $100).

I'm a sophomore in college, and I'll be a junior in the fall. Let me give you some advice. Get a summer job, and be a complete cheapskate all summer long. Save every cent you make, and don't buy your new computer until one week before you have to be at school. That way, you'll have plenty of money to spend on the computer, software, and accessories you'll want and need.

4. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I agree with RBMaraman on this one. I would try to save up some money over the summer if I were you. Also, there is a chance that the PowerBooks may be updated in the summer.

Maybe by the time you go to purchase a PowerBook, 970s will be implemented in them! :D

5. morkus thread starter macrumors newbie

6. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

If you are interested in a 17" Powerbook, you might consider the new 1Ghz 17" iMac, stats on the systems are similar, screens are the same, and you will save A LOT of $$$!