Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caspersoong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
I am thinking of getting an app to replace reminders. (tired of it). Can someone please recommend an app that is free and syncs between Mac and iPad (optimized for iPad preferably) and is fast, possibly with extra features? I find checkboxes very useful and need settings such as priorities, and alarms, which are a pain to set on the iPad with so many taps! I need an efficient app. Is there such an app? Thanks!

(hopefully syncable with Android too)

JacaByte

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2009
I use Wunderlist for keeping track of my homework assignments in college, it works very well on my iPad and syncs with the web, my Mac and has an android app, so it should sync with your phone as well.

wadjj

macrumors regular
May 6, 2012
wunderlist is pretty good service, but their pc and android clients are below my standard, but it's the only free

ozengo

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2011
Melbourne
GQueues is, in my view, superior to Producteev and Wunderlist. The free app is rich in features (tags, nested tasks, notes, repeating tasks...) and easy to use. Unlike Producteev, the tags carry over across lists, and nested tasks can have multiple levels of indentation (as in Omnifocus). The paid app ($25 per year) gives you access to mobile versions (including Android), as well as integration with Google Calendars and email/SMS reminders. The iPad app is better than Producteev's and GQueues lets you duplicate lists, so you can create project templates. For more details check out my review at http://purplezengoat.com/2012/06/02/getting-things-done-with-gqueues/

wadjj

macrumors regular
May 6, 2012
Rich-feature is not always good for to-do app, a lot of procrastinating people like me would spend too much time on a complex productive tool itself, and that's the worst way to be not productive.

Loopy65

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2008
Wales, UK
Have to say that time and again I come back to Evernote. It syncs across my mac, iPad and iPhone effortlessly and does the check boxes thing which I love for my lists!!

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
Small Task (doesn't have lots of features, but I like it. Syncs across mac devices).
Evernote.
Wunderlist.

knightskid

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2009
I am using Toodledo, sync with my iPhone and iPad, it can set as simple as you want or as complex as you want. It comes with notes too.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
iOS 6 will introduce Reminders API, which will let third party apps to integrates with Reminders database. Reminders API will let third party apps access to Siri, while letting users switch to different to do apps without fear of losing data.

One of my favorite OS X apps, Fantastical, has confirmed that it is working on iOS version. Some of the existing apps also integrate with Reminders data by letting you specify iCloud login, which include 2Do, Appigo's Todo, Remember the Milk, Calvetica, and App Savvy's Agenda.

ithinkimalion

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2011
iOS 6 will introduce Reminders API, which will let third party apps to integrates with Reminders database. Reminders API will let third party apps access to Siri, while letting users switch to different to do apps without fear of losing data.

One of my favorite OS X apps, Fantastical, has confirmed that it is working on iOS version. Some of the existing apps also integrate with Reminders data by letting you specify iCloud login, which include 2Do, Appigo's Todo, Remember the Milk, Calvetica, and App Savvy's Agenda.

NO WAY?! Fantastical for iOS? I would buy that in a heartbeat. Where did you hear that?

On topic, I recommend 2do. I love that app.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
NO WAY?! Fantastical for iOS? I would buy that in a heartbeat. Where did you hear that?

Their slogan is "Enjoyable and flexible software for Mac + iOS." So far, their only product is Fantastical for OS X.

And this little bit:
flexibits_%20228299236842803200.png

cfs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
Another for Wunderlust here. It syncs with my computers and my Android phone. I am able to keep many lists, write detailed messages about the lists. Have an alert be sent to the message center, and also collaborate on lists. For axample I have one list for family that my wife and use for making sure we are on the same page after we leave the house.

For notes, I use Notability and Evernote. I have notability synced to dropbox.

pcomac

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2011
wunderlist would be great if u could view ur events in calendar format... you cant or at least i havent figured it out how to :( i found this awsome free app called inclass and its basically combining reminders with ical. i really like it but the major downside is that u cant delete finished events which is annoying

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.