Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joe_gibb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2005
UK
What's your preferred way of extracting objects from their backgrounds? Pen Tool/Quick Mask, Extract Filter or plugins?

Joe.

neildmitchell

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2005
Depends on what you are trying to extract?
If its a rather simple shape I would use the pen tool, for larger more complex objects that have clean edges I would use Quick Mask, for fuzzy edges try the extract filter

joe_gibb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2005
UK
Just a quick update on the VertusTech Fluid Mask plugin I asked about a couple of months ago.

As a free trial is now available to download I thought I'd give it a try and post a very basic review.

I've always been wary of plugins like this when PS already comes with a built-in Extract Filter, but this time the developers have done a terrific job of making cutouts easier, faster and more accurate than I could achieve using the traditional tools.

Fluid Mask's pencil and brush tools enable objects to be cut out quickly and easily and I often found that a single brush stroke was all that was needed to identify an object’s edges and from there it was simply a matter of assigning the mask type I wanted.

The only downside I can see is the $400 price tag. I know they're aiming this tool at pros who do a lot of this stuff, but the amateur has probably more to gain from using it.

Joe.

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
I use the pen tool for pretty much everything.

I'll ise the hoop if I'm just dragging a chunk of something from one section to another, but I've never liked any other method for detailed cutouts as much as the pen tool.

It also gives you the freedom to 'ignore' any bits you find you don't want as you clip round your object.

There ar ea number of different automated ways of clipping things & masking things, but I always come back to the old fashioned pen cut out...

joe_gibb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2005
UK
joe_gibb said:
The only downside I can see is the $400 price tag. I know they're aiming this tool at pros who do a lot of this stuff, but the amateur has probably more to gain from using it.

Just updating this post with new info for the sake of completeness.

The developers have recently reduced the price of this plugin to $249/£179 + increased the free upgrade period from six months to twelve. An improvement no doubt but still a little pricey.

widgetguy

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2005
some ay pen tool, but i think if ya a pro with it and want to it prefect use the lasso tool i love it

s4tok

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2006
Just an update to an old thread

In 2006 Fluid Mask came out with Version 2, for Mac and Windows, and is now state-of-the-art industry standard - with a revolutionary "jigsaw" analysis / interface.

The web-site offers a free trial download and an active user forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.