Best tool to rip DVDs with a foreign region code?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by sandyjmacdonald, Aug 23, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

I've been using mac.jedi's amazing Automator actions to rip and encode all of my DVDs for streaming to my Apple TV, but I have lots of DVDs with foreign region codes (i.e. not region 2, where I am). Fairmount doesn't seem to like ripping them, and VLC no longer seems to play them either.

Any ideas on how to rip and/or play them on my iMac?

There's a separate issue of ripping some other DVDs (like Wall.E and District 9) with funky copy protection. I end up with a MASSIVE rip that is completely useless. Anyone got any ideas on this?

My current machine is a late 2009 Core 2 Duo (3.06) 21.5 inch iMac with 4 GbRAM and a 1 Tb hard disk, running Lion.

2. macrumors 6502a

aarond12

3. macrumors 6502a

Futhark

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, trouble is that the more recent versions of VLC won't play foreign region code discs. This is my trouble.

5. macrumors 6502

Most Mac internal optical drives are RPC-2 region locked within the drive itself, so there is no way to play or rip them without using up one of your region changes.

If you're lucky you may have a drive whose firmware can be reflashed to an RPC-1 version; search for your drive model plus RPC1 and see. If you don't want to chance that then an external drive may be your best bet.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmmm... external drive. Good idea. I'll try that. Don't want to risk reflashing my internal one.

Thanks.