Best Torrent for Mac OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TimJim, May 23, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502a

what is the bets P2P Bit Torrent for mac

ex. limewire

2. macrumors newbie

imho Azureus - never ever have had any issues and works w/ just about all BT sites out there....if u try and install it though, make sure you install for at least as an intermediate user....just not basic or novice. :) Have fun!

3. macrumors regular

iLoveMyMBP

Transmission is by far the best torrent app out there IMO at least!!

4. macrumors newbie

Tomato Torrent is a very simple and great torrent app

5. Retired

psychofreak

P2P (like limewire) and torrents are not really the same.

The best P2P app on the mac is Acquisition, but if you don't want to pay/get the nags, I recommend Acqlite.

I use XTorrent for my torrents, but if you want something lighter I recommend Transmission.

6. macrumors 68000

epochblue

I'll echo that. Now that they've fixed most of their earlier issues, Transmission is by far the lightest weight client you'll find.

If you want the most fully-featured client, you want Azureus. If you want a decent Transmission alternative, try BitRocket. If you want to pay for your client, go with Xtorrent.

7. macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

8. Retired

psychofreak

Or put up with the irritating limits like I do...

9. macrumors regular

If you only download the occasional torrent, use Transmission. If your more of a heavy downloader, You'll be happier with Azureus - it's got more features that are useful for managing torrents. And it's interface doesnt get as cluttered up with 5+ torrents opened at once(or am I the only one that thinks that..?). Just keep java up to date. Oh, and Azureus 3.0 is the same as Azureus 2.5.0.4, just with a different GUI.

XTorrent is based on libtransmission, only with a new GUI. If you use XTorrent, you might as well use Transmission and save your money :p

If you're on an old PowerPC mac, try using Bits on Wheels or Tomato Torrent. Though neither of those are unibin so using it on a newer Intel mac might be a bad idea.

10. macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

11. macrumors 65816

dolphin842

(yet) another vote for Transmission.

I used to use Azureus but it would take up crazy amounts of RAM.

12. macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Although a bit of a resource hog on older machines (I run it on a G4 Cube), Azureus has never let me down.

13. macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

Truth be told about Transmission.

14. macrumors 68000

cycocelica

15. macrumors 65816

16. macrumors 6502a

T-t-t-t-t-t-t-tRANSMITION!

(as if it needs to be said!)

17. macrumors 6502a

shu82

I vote for azureus. If you download a lot of torrents, and have any idea of what you are doing, it is as good as it gets. I used to use my P3 just for utorrent before azureus came out. Truth be told I still like utorrent better. I turned off cable and netflix, so an antenna and azureus is all I need.

18. macrumors 68000

NATO

Yet another vote for Transmission. Elegant, simple and reliable and does exactly what you expect it to.

19. macrumors newbie

machris

Transmission is my #1, but I have found some torrents won't work with it, so then I'll resort to Azureus.

20. macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

I use this with no problems.

21. macrumors 603

SkyBell

Yep, Tomato Torrent is great for someone who only torrent's occasionally, and one file at a time like me.

22. macrumors member

I been using uTorrent on PC for a few years cause is the best that i found to download. Now that i´m on Mac the most like to uTorrent is Transmission I tried Azureus but it´s sucks I need all possible free memory to work not only to download something and Tomato was nice but i was searching for simplicity and Transmission is the best by now.

23. macrumors 68000

lamina

Personally I find Azureus like running a foot race with work boots. I think it's because it's fully coded in Java, which personally I have always found sort of sluggish, despite its flexibility (Keep in mind I don't know jack about programming).

That said, Transmission is my #1. I wish it had the ability to download only certain files from a torrent. That's my only complaint really. Transmission is fast as hell and uses a really small memory footprint.

I've also used BitRocket which I have found to be very likely the most unstable program I've ever used on a Mac. It crashes every time I add a new torrent without having it running first, it crashes when I am editing the properties of a torrent, it crashes on startup sometimes. It's a great program, but I just wish it were more stable.

So, for me the answer is Transmission. I think you will find Transmission to be what you're looking for as well.

24. macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Now that the new version of transmission is out. I/you don't need anything else.

I trashed Azureus, Bits on wheels, Bit Rocket, XTorrent, TRASHED EM ALL!

Transmission is it for me. The extra features in Azurueus are not at all worth it to me.

TRANSMISSION is the goods!

25. macrumors 68000

kuebby

Maybe this has been fixed with an update but older versions of Transmission are banned from some trackers because they didn't follow some Bit torrent protocol. Personally I use Azureus.