Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bob2131

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
hi, just bought a macbook.
on pc i use logitech trackball mouse.
(as normal mice hurt my wrist)
apple dont make a trackball mouse do they?

and ive never understood wireless mice.
they take batteries.
so say if on christmas day the battery runs out.
shops are closed. so you cant use your mouse?
wire is more reliable.

so all you trackball mouse users........which one is best for you?

is macbook laptop trackpad good for wrist? or does it promote
RSI?? ?

thanks.

scottydawg

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
Sacramento, CA
I have been using the Kensington Expert mouse for over 10 years and love it. I have everyone in my office using it now too. Programing the top left button for going back on Safari is really nice ;) .

bob2131

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
yeah im gonna maybe get taht mouse.............

good for less strain on wrist right???

have you seen the logitech trackball.......the one with the ball in the middle........
so you can use it with left and right hands.

the kensington mosoue you guys are talking about...........can you use it with left and right hands??? does it come with software where you can customise the button function????

cheers

bob2131

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
is it possible to get a trackball mouse but with also a scroll wheel???

i have a trackball mouse but i miss the scroll wheel of my old mouse. so easy to go up and down a page.

MichelleAK

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2006
Anchorage, AK
is it possible to get a trackball mouse but with also a scroll wheel???

i have a trackball mouse but i miss the scroll wheel of my old mouse. so easy to go up and down a page.

My Kensington trackball mouse has a scroll wheel (it encircles the ball).

Answering another question, the Kensington I have has the ball in the middle, so you can use it left- or right-handed. (It's the four-button version.)

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
yeah im gonna maybe get taht mouse.............

good for less strain on wrist right???

have you seen the logitech trackball.......the one with the ball in the middle........
so you can use it with left and right hands.

the kensington mosoue you guys are talking about...........can you use it with left and right hands??? does it come with software where you can customise the button function????

cheers
Do your need one specifically for left hand, or multiple users requiring both L and R hand operation? :confused:

bob2131

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
Do your need one specifically for left hand, or multiple users requiring both L and R hand operation? :confused:

i want to use it with both left and right hands.....

ideally i would use just the right hand, but im starting to get wrist pain in my right hand/wrist/arm......

i tend to swap hands for the mouse, to even it out a bit.....it helps.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
the optical expert mouse?
http://uk.kensington.com/html/7843.html
i cant see a scroll wheel on it.....
It's the black ring around the ball. Look under features.
Award-winning Scroll Ring™ provides super smooth navigation
:)

I also have problems with my right wrist (CTS). I've had no problems when I switched to the Logitech Trackman. Mice still cause pain, as did the center located trackball units I tried.

If you don't already have one, get a good wrist brace. I think you will find it's your friend. :p

Check out some of the ergonomic peripheral sites. "ergonomic keyboard" usually does the trick. Look at keyboards, etc. You'll get a good idea of what may help. :)

This site may help you get started. http://www.fentek-ind.com/ergo.htm

Hope this helps. :)

bob2131

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008

so....would you scroll down the page, with a finger ANYWHERE on the ring? or would you have to use a finger on either side to scroll?? so two fingers to scroll?

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
so....would you scroll down the page, with a finger ANYWHERE on the ring? or would you have to use a finger on either side to scroll?? so two fingers to scroll?
IIRC, it rotates clockwise & counter clockwise, and would only use a single finger. :cool:

I edited my previous post, so there may be something that helps.

MichelleAK

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2006
Anchorage, AK
IIRC, it rotates clockwise & counter clockwise, and would only use a single finger. :cool:

I edited my previous post, so there may be something that helps.

It does go both clockwise and counterclockwise, so you only need one finger (I generally use my middle or ring finger). And it's grooved, so you can use just a fingernail if you want. :D

bob2131

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008

I also have problems with my right wrist (CTS). I've had no problems when I switched to the Logitech Trackman. Mice still cause pain, as did the center located trackball units I tried.

If you don't already have one, get a good wrist brace. I think you will find it's your friend. :p

Check out some of the ergonomic peripheral sites. "ergonomic keyboard" usually does the trick. Look at keyboards, etc. You'll get a good idea of what may help. :)

This site may help you get started. http://www.fentek-ind.com/ergo.htm

Hope this helps. :)

yeah its a serious problem. thanks for that help.
ever since i got the pain, i learnt techniques to ease it, and they worked, like using left hand, using trackball. at work they bought me a trackball for the right hand, logitech, but the ball is only controllable with the thumb, so the thumb gets easily strained. at home i have a ball in the middle mouse. so i can switch hands. i think ball in the middle is best. as you can use your whole arm to control it, via hand of course, but using arm movement.

wrist brace? what does that do? where from? jonny greenwood from radiohead used to wear one....for guitar playing......

keyboards and typing are not the problem i think. its just mouse usage for me.

ok cheers for that anyway.

bob2131

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
It does go both clockwise and counterclockwise, so you only need one finger (I generally use my middle or ring finger). And it's grooved, so you can use just a fingernail if you want. :D

kinda like an ipod wheel???

is it easy to scroll with it? compared to a conventional scroll wheel?

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
wrist brace? what does that do? where from? jonny greenwood from radiohead used to wear one....for guitar playing......

ok cheers for that anyway.
The wrist brace helps immobilize the wrist, and maintain a neutral position to eliminate stress/strain on the median nerve.

An example wrist brace (most common used AFIAK). You're doctor can help with proper selection, depending on the exact diagnosis.

This and proper habits work best. Better than meds or surgery, and is prescribed in conjunction with one or both anyway. :)

BTW, you don't need a prescription for the brace, but a physician usually writes for one to make sure of the proper type. Check out local medical supply shops, and try them on. ;)

bob2131

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
The wrist brace helps immobilize the wrist, and maintain a neutral position to eliminate stress/strain on the median nerve.

An example wrist brace (most common used AFIAK). You're doctor can help with proper selection, depending on the exact diagnosis.

This and proper habits work best. Better than meds or surgery, and is prescribed in conjunction with one or both anyway. :)

BTW, you don't need a prescription for the brace, but a physician usually writes for one to make sure of the proper type. Check out local medical supply shops, and try them on. ;)

CTS same thing as RSI? i dont know what it is ive got, ive never been to doctor about it, just internet reserach and tips to lessen the stress on wrist muscles.

AFIAK?

so you wear the wrist support when you use the computer??

shall i just buy one, or go to doctor?

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
CTS same thing as RSI? i dont know what it is ive got, ive never been to doctor about it, just internet reserach and tips to lessen the stress on wrist muscles.
RSI = Repetitive Strain Injury (It covers a broad spectrum of strain related problems).
CTS = Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (A specific diagnosis).

There are quite a few, and each is slightly different. As a result, specifics of the treatment may differ. Sometimes not.
Most of the wrist related injuries I've seen use this brace. I have seen one or two people use a variant. (Not sure what the specific diagnosis was).
So someone with Tendinitis (tendinopathy is currently used term) and CTS for example, would wear the same brace. In fact, I was repetitively diagnosed with Tendinitis before the nerve conduction testing was performed. After that, they changed the diagnosis to CTS. The only thing that changed as far as treatment, was the offer of surgery. At the time, I was too young. It has to be repeated, and scar tissue develops to the point of permanent paralysis. I dealt with that for a brief time, and have no wish to repeat it. :eek:
so you wear the wrist support when you use the computer??
Yes. :)
shall i just buy one, or go to doctor?
Go see the doctor. It's way too important to ignore.

MichelleAK

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2006
Anchorage, AK
kinda like an ipod wheel???

is it easy to scroll with it? compared to a conventional scroll wheel?

Yup, pretty similar, although the scroll wheel on the mouse physically moves. I find it really easy to use--you can go slowly or quickly, and if you want to go down a whole page, give it a strong downward push; the wheel will keep spinning a bit, depending on how hard you "push". Plus, with the software included, you can program the wheel to scroll from "very slow" to "very fast," and you can even turn off the scrolling if you wish.

bob2131

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
bought the expert mouse.....gonna sell it on ebay......not good.....too big and stiff.......the amount of pressure it takes for a mouse click is way too much........

are exercises good? for wrist and lower arm strengthing? for people who have pain in wrists from computer usage?
i dont know if i should be doing weights or light exercises to strengthen it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.