Best Ultra-Compact Digital?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jay42, May 3, 2006.

1. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jul 14, 2005
    I'm looking for an ultra-compact digital camera. I plan on using it any occasion when a SLR would be impractical. However, its main purpose will be for use on extended climbing trips, so size, weight, and battery life are of great importance to me (although I will probably bring two batteries). The choices seem to be overwhelming. I'm looking for the camera that will take the best pics for around $250, but I'm flexible. Thanks.
  2. adk macrumors 68000

Nov 11, 2005
    Stuck in the middle with you
    The canon elph series is excellent. The Canon SD30 is tiny and it's a great camera. I'd definitely recommend checking out canon. Sony makes some small ones too, but I'm not a big fan of them.
  3. lonegeek macrumors member

Jan 2, 2006
    That camera is closer to 350... The SD20 is around 250..Im thinking of getting that after i get my mac mini...Take advantage of iPhoto...RIght now all i have is an HP 320 which sucks....battery door broke

Every canon i've seen is amazing.. I was playing with an sd10...amazinly sturdy feeling in your hands..Uncles sd600 (i think) has an amazing menu with nice transistions between menus... An sd510...All of these take amazing pictures
  4. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    Been a big fan of Canons compact cameras, including the APS ELPHs, but someone recommended a Panasonic/Leica Lumix in another similar thread and I almost picked one up 'cause some of the specs were so much better.