Best USB Audio Package

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by utilizer, Aug 31, 2003.

1. utilizer macrumors regular

Alright now, time for some purchases.
    I need to know what the best USB external sound card is out there. I'm leaning toward the Sonica Theater. I have a Pismo with a gig of RAM, so take that into consideration.
    I've searched on these forums regarding the Sonica, and really couldn't get a definitive answer when it comes to this issue. Some like it, some don't.
    TIA :cool:

2. f-matic macrumors member

depends on the use

what will you be using it for? for decent sound for dvds and whatnot, the sonica seems decent enough, and fairly cheap. if you're looking to use it for audio production, i'd skip the sonica since it only uses soundmanager drivers (as far as i know). i'd recommend the edirol ua-1a if you don't care that much about hi-end quality, or the emi 2|6 or 6|2 if you do.

hope that helps!

best,
    nick

3. utilizer thread starter macrumors regular

Re: depends on the use

Yup, for the most part, it'll be strictly used for playing music thru my new Sennheiser HD280s which sound pretty darn good via the standard sound port on my laptop. Won't be playing DVDs sound my drive is unsupported in OS X (thank you very much Apple!) and I'll generally be playing mp3s/AACs, maybe even through a 5.1 Sony receiver system.
    Basically, I want to take what I hear up to the next level: This is a guy who has used some Optimus Nova headphones from Radio Shack for two years and thought those were damn good going to Sennheisers! I hear the difference alright, I just feel that if I was missing that much from my listening experience, perhaps I'm missing even more so with a subpar audio out mechanism.
    Thanks for your insight.

4. f-matic macrumors member

re: usb audio

yeah, sounds like the sonica might be what you're after. i think usb sound is a decent investment anyway -- the sound output jack on my lombard eventually just died from being plugged and unplugged too much. those 1/8" jacks are a piece of sh*t -- when will somebody make a laptop with decent built in soundcards???

anyhow, if you're looking for a decent place to get the sonica, i'd recommend http://audiomidi.com. not sure if it's the best price, but they have great customer service and seem pretty cool. (i have no association with them - just used to use them a lot for audio gear).

and please post to the board with your problems / opinions on the soundcard. it may seem like you're shouting into the void, but the next person with the same question will thank you when he tries to google for info.. :)