Best USB Thumb Drive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ckeck, Aug 13, 2005.

1. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

I am looking into getting a USB 2.0 thumb drive that works great with Mac OS and Windows.

What are some of the better ones on the market for speed & reliability...style too? Price isn't that much of a concern (they are all fairly cheap)

Thanks

2. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i like my corsair flash voyager. the outside is solid rubber, very sturdy, *very* fast, and i bought it from newegg the week before it went on sale...oh well :p
    128mb through 2gb sizes

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm kinda interested in a 5 GB hard drive thumb drive made by a subsidiary of Samsung. It's available for about $150 from BJ's Wholesale Club. It's a little bigger but I think most of them are too easily lost anyway.

5. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

I have 2 Lexar Sport JumpDrives; they have been running well for > 1 year.
    No problems thus far (knock on wood).
    Also, as an added bonus, they have this plastic body protector around it in case you drop it (or someone else does, as in the case of a friend of mine whose daughter hucked a different jumpdrive off of a balcony, destroying it).

6. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Cruzer

I'm very impressed with my 512MB SanDisk Cruzer Micro. It's very small, has a simple construction (a metal enclosure encased in a thin layer of clear plastic), and matches my powerbook nicely. I haven't been rough to it, so I can't attest to it's real-life durability, but it's been working perfectly for me so far. My one qualm is that I'd like to format it as an HFS+ volume, but I need to use it with Windows machines too and Windows doesn't recognise HFS+ (says it's an unformatted drive and offers to format it as MS-DOS). But that's hardly SanDisk's fault...

http://www.sandisk.com/retail/cruzer-micro.asp

That's sort of what it's like, except mine predates the whole 'skin' idea. I don't like skins anyway...make it look cheap.

Whatever you choose to buy, I highly do not recommend buying a drive that has a lanyard attachment on the cap itself. You want one where the lanyard attaches directly to the drive. I've seen people lose flash drives by buying the former type and hanging them around their necks. There was one guy who carried his final thesis around his neck on a flash drive, and it fell off. This was the only copy he had (not a smart thing either way you look at it), and he was lucky that I was the one who picked it up. He also had no ownership file on it to help an honest finder return it, so I had to scan the documents within for names. Not cool!

Buying a flash drive was one of the most fulfilling and ultimately satisfying purchases I've ever made!

7. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

8. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

For the last year or so I've been using an Attaché 128MB drive to just jet smaller files around. So far its worked without a hitch on any OS I have tried. They come in a variety of sizes up to a gig or two I believe, and are pretty non pricey (which is why I think they show up in movies alot including Collateral, and the TV show Alias, I know there are at least two or three more I can't think of off the top of my head). It comes with one of those lanyards and a protective case, though no password type software.

9. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

My fiance bought me a Swiss Memory USB for my birthday one year. One of the most useful gifts that I have ever received. I have it with me about 99% of the time because its hooks onto my keys. Really comes in handy when in need to backup a small file on the fly (useful for my work), and when your stuck without a pen. :cool:

10. londy macrumors member

that. is. ugly. but i think i could rock it if it had a keyring loop on it :p