Best Value Opinions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ctsport1234, Oct 12, 2006.

1. ctsport1234 macrumors regular

Hey guys, I've had my PB 15'' 1.5Ghz as my only computer for a little over a year and its been great. However, I find the powerbook to be a bit too big to lug around campus and lacking sufficent real estate when at home. I plan on selling the PB and upgrading to either A. macbook + 23'' ACD or B. 20'' iMac.

A portable is not a 'must have' but I do really used to having the portablity, however; the imac option is substantially cheaper (when you include the accessories you need w/ a portable i.e. extra battery, mouse, etc.) I also don't like having to plug in/out all the cables everyday to use the monitor. I also really like the imac's form factor. :p

I think I like both options equally, so my question is which option do you guys think is a better value? And which options would you guys choose and why? Thanks! :D

2. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

wait for the new AMD 4x4 platform to come out in november. Amd doesnt have fsb which intel does. Supposedly they are going to blow intel outta the water. Anyways, Just something one of my friends thats a MAC hater told me. I myself am waiting on the MBP.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Be waiting a long LONG time. Intel designs the Mac motherboards... it'll be a frigid day in Hades before they design a motherboard for their competition, and AMD doesn't have the horsepower to dedicate a design team to Apple.

4. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

:confused: How is that helpful to someone who's looking to buy a mac and not a pc?

anyways.

to the OP: if you don't need portability, then I would probably go with the iMac. cheaper to start with, cheaper to upgrade...

if you do decide to go with a MB and external, though, I'd seriously look into the Dell monitors. I have a 24" and it was cheaper than buying a 20" ACD, with a lot more ports. Could save you quite a bit of money, which would bring down the price of option A, in case you really find yourself pining for a portable.