Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dman8950

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2005
Lafayette, IN
Hello

I was wondering if anyone knows the best version of OSX to run on a 2001 dual usb iBook (500 MHz G3). I upgraded to Tiger, but now that I have an iMac I see how SLOW Tiger runs on my ibook. I don't really need dashboard or the other perks of Tiger for when I use the ibook. So, I figured that an older version would run smoother on the older machine... Does anyone have any suggestions? I am using the ibook check email, use the web, word process, and sometimes make spreadsheets. What do you think?

Thanks!

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
dman8950 said:
Hello

I was wondering if anyone knows the best version of OSX to run on a 2001 dual usb iBook (500 MHz G3). I upgraded to Tiger, but now that I have an iMac I see how SLOW Tiger runs on my ibook. I don't really need dashboard or the other perks of Tiger for when I use the ibook. So, I figured that an older version would run smoother on the older machine... Does anyone have any suggestions? I am using the ibook check email, use the web, word process, and sometimes make spreadsheets. What do you think?

Thanks!

Panther.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I'll agree about Panther...that's what I'm running on my Dual USB with 384 MB RAM. I never installed Tiger on it, but I can't imagine the increased eye candy you don't really need would be helpful to performance. Panther is still somewhat sluggish on it (when I'm used to running Tiger on my PB), but it's your best option...I definitely noticed a speed increase when I moved that iBook from Jaguar to Panther.

dman8950

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2005
Lafayette, IN
Thanks

well, looks like panther is the best bet. thanks for the input. my only other question is if any of you know where i put the panther cds when i moved....but i have a feeling you can't help there ;)

soon as i find them, i will be enjoying a nice (marginal) performance boost from the downgrade to panther.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
My experience

I have Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" installed on my Dad's iBook 500mhz with 320mb of RAM, it runs pretty well but, Panther would be a bit snappier. I don't notice the iBook being too slow but, that just may be because I'm used to working a lot with older Macs. It'll run though, and it's not too bad either but, if you don't need any of the 10.4 features, Mac OS X 10.3 "Panther" would be fine for your needs. :)

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
I think Tiger will be better because apparently they got some optimisations for free when they used a new IBM compiler to build OSX.4

Not sure if it is true or not though :rolleyes:

poolin1243

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2005
Kansas City,MO/Milwaukee, WI
i had the same powerbook as you..and it works well in tiger...i contemplated downgrading to panther, but as long as you have the max ram, it works out well...buy yourself a stick of 512 and go with that..its a good deal!

dman8950

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2005
Lafayette, IN
poolin1243 said:
i had the same powerbook as you..and it works well in tiger...

Thanks, but I have an iBook. I wish it was a powerbook...

I have maxed out the ram @ 640 MB. Here's hoping panther will be smoother!

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I also think Panther is the way to go.. I have a couple of loaners that are the same model and only 1 got Tiger for some Active Directory stuff. It was so slow that I left the other at Panther. It's much less processor intensive.

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
10.3.8... is the way to go
I had pretty much everything else installed on my 700mhz ibook and 10.3.8 ran the best
:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.