Best video-chatting app?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chuchichan2524, Oct 8, 2006.

1. chuchichan2524 macrumors regular

What's the best application out there for video-chatting? Skype? iChat? Adium?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I find iChat to be pretty good- especially if the user at the other end has a Mac also. The picture looks as good as if you were using your camera to look at yourself (did that sound narcissistic?).

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Plus, iChat in Leopard looks like it'll blow everything out of the water.

4. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

iChat is the best video chat software for the OS X platform.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

skype is the best
    ichat is not very good when come to the cross-platform video conferencing. sure, if your friend also use a mac, then ichat would be the best.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's what makes it so hard to understand / answer this question. It all depends on what you mean by "best." If you control the hardware and software on both (or all) ends of the chat, I would probably say iChatAV, because it produces high-res images, is good about configuring itself for Apple hardware automatically, and has great features like multi-party conferencing.

The question is what is "best" when you *don't* control the hw/sw on both ends. If you have to accommodate Windows, you need compatibility (and then, yeah, probably Skype is the best). If you have to accommodate a friend who only has an account on service X and isn't computer literate enough to be able to install Skype and get an account ... :rolleyes: well, then... *le sigh*