Best Video Encoder/Exporter?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TheSpaz, Jan 12, 2007.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Here's the deal. I recently bought an EyeTV 250 and it came with EyeTV 2 software, however, EyeTV 2 is extremely slow at exporting my videos to the iPod format. I heard iSquint was good so I tried that and it would not encode my EyeTV format video (incompatible file format) even when I tried the mpeg file that was hidden in package contents of the .eyetv file.

The only other video compressor I tried was VisualHub which worked, but I don't have a registration for that so, it only encodes 2 minutes but, VERY FAST.

I also know about Handbrake and that is very fast on my mac pro. Is there anything that is as fast as Handbrake (multi-threaded and Universal) that is made to encode any video. I wonder why the developer of Handbrake didn't make the software able to encode regular files too (instead of just DVDs)

So basically, I want something that is free and fast and that will encode my .eyetv files because EyeTV is slow and the quality is kinda lacking.

2. Millwood macrumors regular

I was going to say VisualHub, but you have to pay for it like you said. But that's, by far, the fastest encoder I've ever tried.

3. TAV macrumors regular

I own V-Hub, but alas never use it. I remain a big, big fan of ffmpegx.

4. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'll take it if you don't use it! Not sure if that can even be done though. Is ffmpegx multi-threaded like Handbrake? I almost tried it but, it wanted me to go download a few codecs and install them and I wasn't really wanting to do that. How come VisualHub doesn't ask you to download more codecs for no reason?

5. TAV macrumors regular

Yes it is multi-threaded. Much more precise config. of your encoding specs. Outputs to many alternative formats. Allows multiple codec outputs to AVI containers, instead of three profiles in V-Hub. The list goes on and on.

Both are good for specific needs, ffmpegx is my choice. Installing the external components (as you mentioned) takes 30 seconds.

6. Jowl macrumors 6502

Just come across he EyeTV problem - it took over 5 hours on my MacBook to convert a 2.4gb file into a mpeg4/ACC. That's crazy!!

Just downloading ffmpex now (although their server is nearly as slow EyeTv's export!) Is ffmpegx pretty fast? Although it can't slower than EyeTV

7. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

EyeTV is very slow. I wonder why they don't put the same technology as ffmpeg into it to make it lightening fast and high quality.