Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LatestOne

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2016
India
Is there any other free vpn's which doesn't end with free trial versions. expecting some suggestions for mobile and desktop.

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Is there any other free vpn's which doesn't end with free trial versions. expecting some suggestions for mobile and desktop.

Tunnelbear gives you 500 MB per month. It has a very nice interface and works well. But you're going to have spend some money if you want unlimited data. Really, Private Internet Access is your best bet: they're super cheap if you pay for the yearly option.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
There is no "Best" for everyone, only "Best for you" as each like each one for it's own uses, and not all VPN's are the same. Some log.. :(

I use ExpressVPN. Used to be an unblockus user until they did crappy blocking techniques or not up to it with Netflix,,,, jumped ship over to Getflix with VPN service for a bit, then did a back-flip over to ExpressVPN after that and used them ever since

Now i'm ok,.. :D i've had the odd problems with both unblockus, and Getflix with VPN (optional), but I think ExpressVPN is probably better just because they market themselves, not as a DNS proxy, but as a VPN service primary, but they offer DNS secondary option instead. (the reverse of the other two) and hench would provide better service as a result..

Reactions: ratsg

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Depending on what you are trying to accomplish with your VPN on the Apple TV, Smart DNS Proxy services like UnBlockus, Unlocator, etc. are easy to setup on the ATV as an alternative.
Kodi/ popcorn time blocking basically
[doublepost=1499121996][/doublepost]
Depending on what you are trying to accomplish with your VPN on the Apple TV, Smart DNS Proxy services like UnBlockus, Unlocator, etc. are easy to setup on the ATV as an alternative.
I added a smart dns to my appletv but not sure what that would accomplish for what I'm needing

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I am traveling a lot for business so I use a lot of public WiFi at Airports and hotels and places where we work. After having been around the world for the last year I'm finally signing up for a VPN service because again this year looks like I'll be traveling the world.

This is correct. There is zero safety/privacy with vypervpn. It's a product developed solely for the purpose of charging 30/month for Giganews 'premium' Usenet plan. Then they started hawking it on its own.

I'm very curious at the above quote - how is there zero safety if it encrypts? I also see that it records your ip and what not, but I'm not looking to do anything illegal or skirt around a paywall - I just want to be able to check my email, talk to family, and if needed go to my bank on public wifi if absolutely necessary - it looks like this will work for that purpose?

I use VYPR VPN they claim to use their own servers.

https://www.goldenfrog.com/vyprvpn

They also seem to have better connection (upload/download) speeds than others I have tried.

I just signed up for their 3 day free trial because I'm using public wifi right now and I didn't want to do stuff without a VPN.

I tried the first few recommended VPNs but it was difficult to get a pricing and all the popup ads and full screen "WAIT you can get 10% off!" stuff off made me close it instantly.

Edit: Wow this is in the Apple TV forum. I guess I'm in the wrong place.

twobelowpar

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2013
I bought a lifetime sub to Getflix for $39 or something a year ago. I’m in Canada and use it to access US content now and then.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I am traveling a lot for business so I use a lot of public WiFi at Airports and hotels and places where we work. After having been around the world for the last year I'm finally signing up for a VPN service because again this year looks like I'll be traveling the world.

I'm very curious at the above quote - how is there zero safety if it encrypts? I also see that it records your ip and what not, but I'm not looking to do anything illegal or skirt around a paywall - I just want to be able to check my email, talk to family, and if needed go to my bank on public wifi if absolutely necessary - it looks like this will work for that purpose?

I just signed up for their 3 day free trial because I'm using public wifi right now and I didn't want to do stuff without a VPN.

I tried the first few recommended VPNs but it was difficult to get a pricing and all the popup ads and full screen "WAIT you can get 10% off!" stuff off made me close it instantly.

Edit: Wow this is in the Apple TV forum. I guess I'm in the wrong place.
For your needs, try Pure VPN. I got a 5 year deal for $70 by searching the web for deals. Private Internet Access (based in U.S.) is very good. I have a 2 year subscription with them ($35 PY).

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.