Best way (if any) to install Tiger w/o an optical drive?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sandman42, Apr 30, 2005.

1. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I want to buy a Tiger family pack (for $149 from Amazon!) so I can install it on my iBook and my Mini. My problem is that the optical drive on my iBook is dead. Is there a way, via firewire, ethernet cable, disk image, etc, to install Tiger on my iBook?

I also have an external FW HD that I can connect to the iBook, but if I made a disk image of the install disk on my ext HD I don't think the iBook would recognize it as bootable.

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

1) You should be able to boot up with your iBook as a firewire drive for your Mini, and install off of that.

2) Otherwise, you could create a disk image of the DVD on your Mini, then use the mini as a target drive for your iBook.

3) I guess you could also enable sharing on the mini and install off the shared DVD, but not sure how fast that might be.

Edit: Just realized you may need to be able to boot off of the DVD, so #1 may be your best bet. I've never tried it, though.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

You may be able to do it the other way too. Boot the Mini in target mode with the DVD in its drive. The DVD may mount on the iBook. Can anyone confirm if this works?

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

You can't use the DVD drive of a Mac connected in firewire mode. I've tried before with my PB. It makes sense if you think about it, since you're really only using the HD, not any of the other system stuff (airport, modem, PC card slot, etc.).

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

That sucks it doesn't work, but it doesn't make sense. You do use firmware in target mode and firmware can also control the DVD drive. I think apple could enable it without too much trouble.