Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2ms

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2002
Can anyone tell me what the best way to move all my work in iMovie to a new computer is? I've got an MBP with iMovie on it and a bunch of events and projects I've done in the past. I also have a fresh new iMac and a thumb drive. What I would like is to be able to open iMove on the iMac and have everything look like it did on the MBP.

How do I take everything off my MBP and put it onto my iMac?

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
For iMovie10, you need to move the iMovie Library file that should be in your Home Folder>Movies folder. If you're still using iMovie11, then move the iMovie Events and iMovie Projects folders, also in your Movies folder.

2ms

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2002
I actually have iMovie 09. Should I basically just move everything that was in the Movies folder? If so, how to I get it all to work in iMovie 10?

2ms

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2002
I moved all the files in the "Movies" directory from my old computer to the "Movies" directory on my new computer. But when I open iMovie (10) there is nothing shown.

When I try doing File > "Update Projects and Events" I just get a message that iMovie couldn't find any projects to update.

I would think it would be very common to move iMovie projects from old computers to new computers and that this would be a fairly simple task. Anyone have any advice for me?

tjwilliams25

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2014
Montana
It is fairly simple, you just have to point iMovie in the right direction as just putting files in the Movies folder doesn't tell the app that there are files in there. I believe all you have to do is select File>Open>(either Library or Event, whichever that version uses).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.