best way to back-up hard drive/files?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by hkala, Mar 25, 2005.

1. hkala macrumors member

i've backed up a couple files on cd, is that a good idea or is there sumtin better out there. and what about the hard drive?
    any ideas?
    thanks.

2. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Backup files on CD or DVD. nice and easy
    Backup complete drive onto anther drive and make it bootable. This way you can launch the mac from the backup (and put everything back) if something went wrong.
    look for these apps that will do this for you
    CarbonCopyCloner CCC
    SuperDuper

www.versiontracker.com
    www.macupdate.com

note:
    If your house goes up in flames u will be happy you have a backup in another location (CD, DVD or HD).

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

External Firewire/USB hard drive + SuperDuper! The perfect backup combo :D

4. mac-er macrumors 65816

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Go spend a hundred or two on an external drive, then use something like CarbonCopyCloner (great) or Deja Vu (my choice, easier to control) to automatically backup. My iMac wakes up at 6:00AM each day, 10 minutes before I do, and makes a full backup of all user libraries and documents folders. Just to be safe it does a weekly backup in a separate location.

I intend to have my files, come hell or high water :)

6. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Same here. I've recently just reinstalled OS X because i was having a few hardware problems (looks like it has cleared up now ... touch wood).

I used a combo of backup and SuperDuper ... 250GB to spear, why not! :p
    Both are very good but i like SupderDuper more. Everything’s back to normal now thanks to it, defiantly worth the investment (€16.62)

7. iGary Guest

iGary

I have a 300GB external that I partition for a bootable backup, and the rest is for my image library.

I also create a bootable backup on my 40GB iPod occasionally and burn DVD's of my files, too.

I use a 20GB iPod to backup my iBook and a Lacie 200GB for the iMac at my offices.

8. ct77 macrumors member