Best way to back up OSX and files?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DEXTERITY, Nov 13, 2004.

1. DEXTERITY macrumors 6502a

I am used to the old way of backing up a copy of my os9, extentions, control panels, etc in case I need to do a clean install. however, how is this done if you are running OSx? I have a dual 2.0 G5 and are kind of slow on OSX for now. What is the best way to back up all programs I have installed and any vital system things I may need in case something drastic happens and I have to reinitialize the drive? thanks in advance.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

There is a Backup utility available to .mac users. You may use a synchonization utility to back-up your files to an external hard disk. You may also burn your files to a DVD periodically.

3. thecow macrumors 6502

Carbon Copy Cloner will do exactly what the name says. It will make a exact copy of the drive that you select to the drive you select to copy to. I don't know the link, just google it.

4. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    get Carbon Copy Cloner here for free.

It will back up your entire hard disk to another an you can boot off the cloned disk.

Worked great for me when my internal disk had a major error. Rather than spend hours trying to track down the problem, I booted off the cloned disk, cloned that to the my powerbook's internal drive, and all I lost was 1 day's worth of cached internet.

5. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

thank you very much. going to download it now. sounds like a great thing for a free program.

6. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

You can also use DiskUtil (found in your /Applications/Utilities folder),
    I've use it a few times and its great!

7. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I have an external hard disk (300GB) to back up all my music/movies/tv shows and much more. Anything else i backup to a DVD or 2-3 CD's depening on what burner i have.

8. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

I like using Retrospect because it offers file compression. I like this because when I back up, I back up EVERYTHING. With retrospect I get about 50 percent compression.

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Retrospect is nice -- I use it to administer a network backup of 6 macs at work but it's not exactly user-friendly. What with its containers etc. and the dryest interface ever. It's all a bit obscure...

10. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    BUT- do these other alternatives produce a BOOTable backup? i believe that is what the poster was looking for...

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

In Retrospects case, perhaps.
    I remember spotting something in their user-guide but am not 100% sure.

Anyway, Retrospect is overkill for a home user... At home I use Silverkeeper and Carbon Copy Cloner.