Best way to back up.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by markjones05, Dec 4, 2003.

1. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Im doing a clean reinstall of panther, and i was wondering what is the best way to back up all my files. Is there a way to back up all my preferences, and safari favorites?

2. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

If you have a .mac account you can backup all your safari bookmarks and other little things you wouldn't normally find to backup, like keychains.

What i do is backup with Backup, sync with isync and everything else gets chucked on a optical disk or HD.

3. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i'd recommend carbon copy cloner from versiontracker, except for one thing. i haven't tested it on panther. i used it to back up my entire jaguar HD (40 gb) onto my FWHD. (it's even bootable.)

just about every files, apps and folders are copied, except for some as noted on the readme...

4. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Re: Best way to back up.

I'm a big fan of having a redundant clone which automatically backs up my system every night. If it's your tower you're talking about, you can get an internal drive relatively cheaply.

At work, I cloned my system and then installed Panther on the clone after I stripped off haxies, etc. I lost 2nd monitor support, which was unacceptable, played with Panther for a couple of days (with back-up disabled), and then just booted back to my Jag disk & backed up over the Panther install.