Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ihparker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
What is the best way to backup my data before a clean Panther install. Here are the important files I care about:

- iTunes Music files (mp3, aac, etc)

- iphoto files (all my Jpegs, etc.)

- Virtual PC files (virtual pc drives)

- Entourage Mail

- Preferences (safari bookmarks, etc)

I would like to back up to a network drive. If that is not possible, I can back up to a firewire drive.

Thanks

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
I always just copy the whole Library folder in YOUR HOME FOLDER! Don't copy the library folder in the OS X System folder...that is stuff for the whole OS. The Library folder in your home folder has stuff like your preferences, bookmarks, mailboxes, etc... You can just take the stuff from that folder that you need, such as your bookmarks and then just trash the old library folder when your all set back up.

I would be careful putting Mac OS X.2 preferences over to Mac OS X.3. This may cause a conflict. If something like that happens just trash the preference for that program. You'll just have to reset your preferences for that App.

As you getting to a network drive...just share that drive and then use "Connect to Server" in the Go menu in the Finder. If its a Windows drive then make sure you have Windows File Sharing turned on. Also make sure your on the same subnet between any computer, Mac or PC. I just use a FireWire drive because it fast and easy.

blacktea

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2003
switzerland
CCC

if you have the luxury of an external FW drive, backup your disc with carbon copy cloner - this app is full of great possibilities, also network backup. i've been using it for the switch from jaguar to panther. no problems so far and i'm now happily playing with my "old" iTunes, iPhoto and Safari files.

good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.