best way to backup music

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by encrypt3d, Apr 25, 2004.

1. encrypt3d macrumors member

i was to fresh install os x but i want to save all music so that i can just pop a cd in and it will import to itunes with all artist album info still there.

how do u people do it?

2. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

I don't know how much music you have, but I used an iPod. You need to find a way to transfer the iTunes folder (~/Music/iTunes) to an external media. After your fresh install, just replace the folder and iTunes should look just like you left it (except the prefs.).

3. gemio17 macrumors regular

If you go that route- check out podworks, it's a pretty cool little program that I use to swap my music btwn home and work. In it it'll see what music on your iPod is not in your library and gives you the option to import only those songs. if you have a dvd burner- a little more permanant solution, or an external harddrive- I've done both just to be safe! my $.02

4. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

I agree. With DVD burners getting cheaper (or if you already have a SuperDrive, use it! haha), it would behoove you to use it more regularly (CD-R's are just too small now with everyone's iTunes library being 20-30gigs, easily).

An external FW drive are also nice, but maybe a bit more expensive (I see a 80 Western Digital USB2.0 External going for $120, vs. a FW 80gig Lacie that is $300). But if its important, I think you would spend the money.

Burning 8-10 DVDs I think would probably be the cheaper alternative, by if you constantly update your library, I would consider the external HD's more...unless you want to go DVD+/-RW

5. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I have over 40GB of music, so burning to DVD isn't super practical. I keep a backup on an external drive. My iTunes Music Store stuff (400ish songs) is additionally backed up to DVD. If I need to reinstall it's pretty simple.

Artist/album info and artwork are stored with the song so there isn't anything extra to do--though you should probably also back up your iTunes library so you don't lose playlists.

6. senseibiz macrumors regular

also, if you want to keep all the information from itunes, remember to make a backup copy of itunes prefrences located in your (home/library/prefrences/com.apple.itunes.) copy all of them, there should be around 3.
    anyway, good luck

7. encrypt3d thread starter macrumors member

in burning prefs. do u like to use burn data dvd?

8. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

To back up my purchased AACs, yes.

9. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

Make sure you deauthorize your computer before you reinstall the OS. You only have 3 computers that can be authorized, so you should deauthorize before reinstalling and authorize it once reinstalled.

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I am not a CD collector...so I have NO ripped CDs in my iTunes library, and my library is rather small (~300 songs). I have another ~280 Module files, ~1,500 MIDI files, and a whole bunch of NSFs, SPCs, GBSs, and GYMs (haven't bothered to count them). I back all of them up to an external hard drive using Apple's Backup program (free for .Mac subscribers, like me).

11. encrypt3d thread starter macrumors member

how?

12. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

Open iTunes. Under the Advanced menu, click Deauthorize Computer.

After you reinstall, copy over your iTunes data and try to play one of the encrypted songs. It will ask you if you want to authorize the computer. Confirm it and you're set.

That's the way it is supposed to work, however, I have not tested it.

13. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

That's correct.

I made the mistake of forgetting to deauthorize a computer before selling it. Luckily, the "powers that be" at Apple have the ability to reset your authorized computers from over there. I emailed them and told them what happened, and they simply deauthorized all computers connected to my iTMS account. Kinda scary that they can do that :eek:

14. encrypt3d thread starter macrumors member

should I deauthorized before i burn the backup DVD
    and burn backup DVD then deauthorize then reinstall OSX

15. Synapple macrumors regular

Do you guys know if I can use the same procedures above to transfer my iTunes files from a PC to a Mac? Or how can I do? I have a thousand songs on my PC iTunes and was wondering how to transfer them all onto a Mac..
    thanks

16. milbs macrumors newbie

milbs

I have a litte 500gb hard drive and i want to keep itunes up to date, so when i import new music in to itunes it will detect it and update to hard drive.
    How do i do this?