Best way to calibrate battery

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by betsbillabong, Nov 17, 2004.

1. betsbillabong macrumors regular

Nov 13, 2004
    I have a new 15" powerbook (1.5). I want to get the best battery life out of it as I can.

What's the best way for me to calibrate the battery?

(a) Use it normally (in my case would mean installing software, etc)?
    (b) Let it run down without touching it? (in that case, what kind of processor/screen settings?)
    (c) Run a DVD until it dies?

Any other tips?

I wish I knew how to post a poll...
  2. betsbillabong thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 13, 2004
    sorry to bump - but really? no one knows, or even has an opinion? i got the same response on the apple board. zero. huh.
  3. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    the great OKLAHOMA....
    IF you just get it...Charge it to full, that is it. It is a li-ion battery so there is no memory there. The only calibration that you can do (that i know of) is to discharge it til it falls asleep, but that only fixes it if there is a problem to begin with. You should be ready! Enjoy your new Powerbook!
  4. betsbillabong thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 13, 2004
    thanks... to clarify, i guess my real question is - is it better to do a slow drain, use it normally, or just throw in a dvd until it goes to sleep?
  5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    I left it on, then off for some time. Actually, it was off for 20 minutes then I played with it. :) After it was maxed out the power cable came out. I imported my CDs. I turned on Airport Express and Bluetooth. Turn up the screen. When it went to sleep, that was the calibration process at work... I just needed to recharge it.
  6. atszyman macrumors 68020

Sep 16, 2003
    The Dallas 'burbs
    I drained both of my batteries by burning CDs into iTunes. I haven't noticed any degraded performance from it.
  7. betsbillabong thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 13, 2004

So I decided, for safety's sake, to use the slow drain method of calibration. I left the powerbook on all night with screen brightness turned down to one bar, drive set to spin down, 'book and lcd set to 'never sleep' and just basically let it run until it died. i actually did this twice.

this morning after i'd charged it, and sat down to work off the battery, it gave me 5:07 of expected time! i didn't get that of course, but i did get nearly 3 hours of audio work which was better than i expected.

of course, i may have had results just as good if i'd played a dvd for a while... i guess i'll never know ;-)