best way to clean CD/DVD drive opening?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by REDACTED, Jan 21, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

I recently spilled milk on and around my MacBook. Powered down immediately and wiped off the excess, left to air out for 24 hours, and it's fine now, but the dried milk stiffened the little bit of foam around the CD/DVD drive opening, making it difficult for the motor to push discs out. I was thinking about dampening a pipe cleaner with a mix of water and alcohol to try to clean it. Any thoughts on that or other suggestions? Thanks.

2. macrumors 6502

DavoMrMac

How about brushing it with one of those little brushes that some with an electric shaver... or a mini-vacuum, then any dust will be sucked up too.

3. macrumors newbie

stiff opening

REDACTED, did you get your problem fixed? Let me know, I have the same issue with the flaps on mine.

4. macrumors 6502

tremendous

5. macrumors 68000

i'd try a brush to fix the stiff openings first :p
    because a brush may break the bonds joining bits of milk together, whereas water/alcohol may mess up other stuff

6. Mow
    macrumors newbie

so. i am fairly certain that the inside of my CD drive is dirty. that is the only thing i can think of that would be the cause of my problem. My CD drive has just stopped taking CD's. does anybody have any suggestions on how to clean it?
    ( i am completely computer illiterate, so bear with me please!)

any help anybody could give me would be greatly appreciated :)

7. macrumors 6502a

What year / model computer?

Try canned air first, just put the end of the red tube in just far enough to pass through the felt closure. Then as you blow air into it, swing the can side to side to try and dislodge what ever might be trapped in it. If you are inclined, I would take part of the enclosure off to make it to where the crap actually leaves the computer instead of finding a new home in it.

If all else fails, Superdrives are easy to replace and cheap-ish.

8. Mow
    macrumors newbie

thank you Macshroomer! i will definitely try that and let you know how it goes! :D

oh! and it is just a basic Macbook. i just got it last year.

9. macrumors newbie

I had the same problem, and I cleaned the flaps with windex. Just pour a little into a shot glass, dip a q-tip in, and rub the flaps fairly aggressively. When they feel more supple, dry them with a fresh q-tip. Then use an old, scratched disk to run through the drive to remove any residue to avoid damaging new disks with any left-over windex. My drive now works like new!