Best way to clean MBA enclosure

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by saintforlife, Apr 23, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502a

The Aluminum enclosure of my MBA is dirty and has all kinds of spots and blemishes that is has picked up from the inside of my backpack including ball point ink marks and what looks like ink marks from a newspaper.

What is the best way to clean the MBA? Since it is Aluminum, I am thinking it will be resistant to fairly strong cleaning agents? Will appreciate any tips on this. TIA!

2. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

I use a microfiber cleaning cloth and normal water. So far it has cleaned everything. I would try that first then move to stronger substances if required.

3. macrumors 68000

I've used a magic eraser for this very reason and works absolutely amazingly. Given it is basically super fine sandpaper, I don't rub too hard and use it rarely, maybe once/year on my laptops.

4. macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

never use water around electronics, it's rule #1

rubbing alcohol or any alcohol based cleaners will work due to it evaporation point is nearly instant.

5. macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

Put some Ethanol or any Alcohol containing cleaning fluid on a cloth, and then wipe the aluminum off.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Where is the best place to find this cleaning alcohol? Sorry if it is a stupid question.

7. macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

Walgreen

8. macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Mmm.. what cannot be found at Walgreens? :p

9. macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

Oh you want to clean the cover not the wounds, lol.... So would Isopropyl Alcohol work?

Attached Files:

10. macrumors newbie

Do not use IPA on the screen. It will dissolve the anti-reflective coating on the screen.

11. IngerMan, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011

macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

That is for sure. I was just adding on buying Alcohol cleaner. Myself I only use a microfiber cloth and monster screen cleaner for the entire unit. If I had some real grub on the aluminum I would consider magic eraser.

The OP is asking about cleaning the Aluminum body, not the screen :)

12. macrumors newbie

I see my mistake. Still worth mentioning to ensure if OP uses IPA he takes care not to let it contact the screen.