Best Way to Connect iPod to Car Via Aux Jack?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by mcmike100, Dec 6, 2006.

1. mcmike100 macrumors member

My car has an aux jack and I want to connect my iPod. When I plug it in via regular 1/8" wire from the iPod headphone jack to the Aux jack, it sounds ok, but I have to put the car's volume on max, so if I accidentally switch to radio I blow my ears out.

What do you recommend for the best quality within a reasonable price range? (Also, it'd be cool to have some kind of car charging solution as well).

Thanks!

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I have a miniplug hardwired into my FM antenna and I have to turn it up too. Not too loud but I have to remember to turn it back down before switching. It is clean though. Just turn your iPod up to 60-80% volume, not all the way and the stereo to where you want it.

As for charging Belkin has a charger with a jack in it and volume control so that you can plug to miniplug into it and plug it into the lighter. Then just connect your iPod when you're in the car.

3. wyrmintheapple macrumors regular

I use an original iPod Dock.

Seriously, Its the best way. Depending on your car, you can fit them into your car, make them look like factory. I took a USB hub (4-port) and got a 12v car adaptor that would power it. then I use an iPod (3rd Gen, though I guess it'll work with em all) and a NavMan f20 running from it.

Now, I have a Ford Ka (UK version) and the cigarette power thingy sits beneath the rest of the dash with an ash tray. Now I have no need for a cigarette lighter or an ash tray, so I unbolted the whole thing and put it in a cupboard for when I sell the car.

Then I obtained the same item from a scrap yard and stripped away all the plastic housing so I just had a 12v cigarette lighter adaptor hanging loose.

Some bits of hardwood/plywood, fibreglass and carpet later, I have a new centre console bottom, with the NavMan in the bottom, the iPod in the top, and after I broke apart the hub I re-routed one of the USB's to the side for a spare port when I need to plug in a phone charger/other USB item

Cause it all looks factory, Its safe from thieves, and cause the dock keeps the jack connected to the stereo, and the USB connected to the power, I can just drop in and go. My iPod is quieter than the radio too still, but not by a great deal. (not enough to bother me anyways)

4. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

you can get car stereos with an ipod dock connector built in, saving you some time so you don't have to hack something up. Brands like pioneer and alpine have them

5. DCBass macrumors 6502

So far, the best thing I've read about is this:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipod/review/sendstation-pocketdock-line-out-usb/

it's the smallest line-out solution. this way, you won't have to fiddle with both your ipod and stereo volume at the same time.

There are a couple other similar things (see ilounge's accessories list for adapters), but this seems to be the most elegant.

Good luck! I wish my car had an aux-input.

-DCBass

6. reubs macrumors 68000

Why not turn the iPod volume all the way up and then adjust the car's audio to that? Does that mess w/ the actual settings w/in the iPod?

7. wyrmintheapple macrumors regular

Thats how mine works...... except using the original dock I can charge from USB and connect to line in/out WITHOUT plugging anything in. I just get in, place the ipod in the dock beneath my heaters and..... music.

8. wyrmintheapple macrumors regular

Yes, but they include a dock connector... not an actual dock, so I'd either need to keep pluggin/unplugging everytime I got in /out of the car, or hack something up anyway.

9. mcmike100 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, everyone! Those dock ideas sound good. But, as I said, I already have both the iPod and car stereo volumes on max, and it's still not all too loud. That's why I thought I might need to get a headphone amp or something.

Given that the volume isn't that loud right now, would line out from the dock really be louder than the headphone out on the iPod since the dock doesn't have an amp?

Thanks!

10. wyrmintheapple macrumors regular

The iPod line out is slightly louder than the headphone output, at least in my experience. Brings it a bit closer to the

Depending on the ipod, there used to be a hack to raise the volume limit sometimes, perhaps you can use then.

11. Bunsen Burner macrumors regular

Have you adjusted the volume limit on the iPod?

BB