Best way to connect iPod to TV - Please help!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by appledu, Feb 12, 2007.

1. appledu macrumors member

appledu

Hi all.

I have the iPod 5G and get quite a few TV shows via iTunes.

Being on a PC (I know...) means that iTunes runs very badly and is often choppy, so I was thinking of finding a solution to connect my iPod to the TV, so that I could watch the TV shows on there.
    Now, I think I'm right in saying that the shows will be less pixelated on a TV, as opposed to my 1600x1200 screen, due to the resolution of TV (I'm talking about a standard 21" Sony TV)?

Right, so I've visited the different review sites and I can't make my mind up on what to get.
    I see that Apple do an AV kit that has cables, a dock and a power charger (that I don't have), so I'm thinking that that might be quite good as I could take the charger with me when I go away to charge the iPod. On the downside, however, the remote seems to be really bad and it's like double the price of others, such as Kensington's Entertainment Dock 500, but that one doesn't sync with the computer, or have the charger for travelling, and I don't know if it will be as good as the Apple for audio and video quality.

There's also a Keyspan AV Dock, but I don't know the company and I don't know how good the quality would be...

Finally, my TV has scart sockets and the 'red, yellow and white' plugs at the front.
    I know that scart is better but I'm not sure if any of these kits have that type of connection...

Finally, I'm looking into this so that I can watch TV shows without iTunes.
    Am I right in believing that the iPod will display them smoothly on the TV with no 'choppiness' or dropped frames?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You just need the AV cable you can either get the apple one or a standard 3.5mm to red white yellow cable, except if you don't get the apple one you have to switch some cables around.

3. MacinJosh macrumors 6502a

If you want best quality out of the iPod, it's s-video. Scart is a connector that can handle (depending on TV) RGB, s-video and composite + audio. Find out if your TV supports s-video through scart. If not, you're stuck with composite (yellow, red and white). iPod does not support RGB.

Joshua.

4. appledu thread starter macrumors member

appledu

Got the Apple cable.

It works well. I'm pleased with the quality.