Best Way To Copy Home Folder Off Old HDD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ZippyThePinhead, Sep 16, 2006.

1. ZippyThePinhead macrumors newbie

I have a G4 running OS X.3.9. I recently lost my home folder due to corruption of my sparseimage file. As part of the recovery process I dug out my G4's original 10GB drive and installed it as a slave drive. It still has my home folder with my email, files, etc., up to the time when I took that drive out of my G4.

At work I have a newer iMac G5 with OS X.4.? installed on it. I was able to use Migration Assistant to get all my stuff off my G3 laptop.

Back at the home front, I searched and found that OS X.3.9 does not have Migration Assistant.

So I'm wondering if there is a slick way I can capture the essentials from my old home folder on my 10GB drive.

A couple of things you ought to know: the 10GB has OS X.3.4 running on it; my main drive has OS X.3.9. I can update if necessary.

I have looked at Carbon Copy Clone, but the list of files it proposes to copy over looks to include some unecessary things, and I'm not totally sure what I absolutely need to copy.

Thanks in advance...

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Well, say that you want to restore you Mail for the Mail.app. Go into the Library file in your User folder and copy the Mail folder in there and put it in the correct place on your new drive. When you start up Mail, it should read all the info from that folder and load all your old mail. Do this for the apps or info you want to bring over. I would suggest opening every application so that it creates the folder, just incase on the first run it deletes the folder or info you just dragged over.