Best way to download IO7

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by abz1981, Sep 17, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

Will it be best to download it via Itunes or through the iphone via software update on wifi. Which is quicker and likely to be the best and fastest way to download tomorrow.

2. macrumors 6502a

Sirious

Which ever is most convenient for you.

3. macrumors 68000

Doesn't really matter. If you have a good solid wifi, it won't take all that long. Depending on how much you have stored on your phone, the actual upgrade (not including the download part) is between 5-10 minutes.

4. macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Just over the air...so easy...

5. thread starter macrumors 65816

oh thanks for the replies. also is it best to do a factory re-set and install new ios 7. or does it not matter?

thanks again.

6. macrumors 603

Tyler23

Apple intends for you to just update - there should be no need to do a complete clean restore. That is really only if you encounter major issues with the phone after upgrading.

I would just do an OTA update from your phone. All should be well.

7. thread starter macrumors 65816

Okay thanks :)

Can't wait to download tomorrow.

8. macrumors 68000

Agree. Just do the update. No need to do a complete factory reset. Just make sure you backup your device before you start. The cloud backup is sufficient. An iTunes backup is nice to have around if you want the restore to go faster in case of issues.

9. macrumors 6502a

digitard

Both should probably do you fine.

I, personally, always do a complete wipe and then re-add my content back (With the exception of my iCloud stuff like phone book) piece by piece out of old habit (worked in the industry for 5yrs, and have been a tech geek since the early 90's... so I have issues with upgrades just embedded in my train of thought).

10. macrumors 601

Armen

I usually update OTA and when I get home I download it over iTunes in case I need to restore.

11. macrumors regular

Anyone know what time the OTA will become available?

12. macrumors P6

When Apple releases it.

13. macrumors regular

Captain obvious! ... is there an official time?

14. macrumors 603

Tyler23

No, but it will likely be around 10 AM PST, so just figure out that time that is in your time zone.

15. macrumors P6

I think it's fairly obvious that if there was an official time it would have been known by most by now and would have come up in dozens of threads on this very topic. So, no, there's no official time.

----------

Perhaps somewhat more likely, but could be earlier than that, as various previous releases have been, and could be later than that, as various previous releases have also been.

It's going to be amazing to finally see all the date/time guessing finally stop tomorrow when its released...only to have the forum get flooded by tons of new people experiencing iOS 7 for the first time and posting about the same things that have been discussed many times already before for those who have followed iOS 7 through the betas. So many new threads about icons, new design, something people don't like about the new calendar, the new clock being "live", this and that. It's going to be like a reset button on the forum where all the stuff starts again (minus the pointless date/time guesses).

16. macrumors 6502

Even though it's got a few rough edges, iOS 7 seems to be a winner on iphone 5. I'm confident it will run well day 1, so I'm downloading wed. rather than waiting.

17. macrumors member

How fast are the download speeds from Apple's servers? Since hundreds of millions of people will be downloading iOS7 at the same time, wouldn't it be very slow?

Also, anybody know how big the GM file is?

18. macrumors 6502

I want to do a full restore. What do I do?

19. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Apple's NZ site, which is fully localised, says that it'll be released today. If that's true, then it'll be out by 5 AM PST, as that's midnight here.

20. macrumors 603

Tyler23

I just checked The NZ site and it says coming soon?

21. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

"11 September 2013—Apple® today announced iOS 7, featuring a completely redesigned stunning new user interface, will be available starting Wednesday, September 18 to iPhone®, iPad® and iPod touch® users as a free software update."

Source

22. macrumors 603

Tyler23

Just an FYI, I wouldn't take that as a guarantee, as they're saying apple announced it would be available in the 18th in the US. You very well may be right, but here they only referenced apples announcement, which only applies really to the PST time zone.

23. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

They usually edit the dates where appropriate. This one may be an oversight, or it may be correct. We'll know in 16 hours! :)

24. macrumors P6

That's just the general PR release citing the release date, which is generally based on Apple's local timezone (US Pacific).

25. macrumors 6502

I want to do a full restore what do I do?