Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

belle14

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
Sorry if I've posted in the wrong forum, I wasn't sure where to put this.

Can anyone advise me on the best way to escalate a complaint about the AppleCare service I've had for my MacBook Pro? I haven't been getting anywhere and am now worse off than before I began the service request.

In short:

About two months ago, while I was using my MBP I got an error message that my SSD was damaged and could not be repaired.I rebooted and ran disk utility which told me the disk bad errors which couldn't be repaired. Was unable to boot after doing that. Ran through an extensive list of troubleshooting and eventually had to format the disk. I did a fresh install of macOS as everything I use is cloud based so didn't need my Time Machine backup. Since then, it has been laggy and slow intermittently.

Since this began, I have been checking every morning for appointments at any of the Apple Store genius bars within driving distance and there have been none. Eventually had to arrange for Apple to collect it for repair. Was without my MBP for 10 days which is a big problem as it is my main work machine. They then lost it and I spent hours on chat and phone trying to track it down. Eventually had several calls from the service centre who initially told me the SSD would be replaced, then that they were only going to reinstall the OS then it was sent back to me with no explanation of what testing had been done and only a fresh install of the OS has been done (and only El Capitan, not Sierra for some reason). I could have done this at home and not been without my MBP for 10 days. Not only that, but the lower case wasn't reattached properly and is loose, with misaligned screws.

I'm getting nowhere with Apple support so would like to know if there is something else I can do to get this escalated and actually repaired?

tl;dr have been trying to get MBP repaired for two months, it is now in worse condition than when I began after being with Apple for repair for 10 days. Who do I complain to to actually get something done about this?

Chicane-UK

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2008
This is diabolical.

I've been wanting to talk through an issue with my MacBook Air at a Genius Bar and am finding it impossible to get appointments too. Every time I look, there is normally only a total of about 1 or 2 appointments available within a near 100 mile radius of me... and none at stores that are actually near to me.

What the hell is happening to this company.

belle14

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
This is diabolical.

I've been wanting to talk through an issue with my MacBook Air at a Genius Bar and am finding it impossible to get appointments too. Every time I look, there is normally only a total of about 1 or 2 appointments available within a near 100 mile radius of me... and none at stores that are actually near to me.

What the hell is happening to this company.

There have been zero appointments at any of the stores within driving distance for me since this began. Zero. When I last used the genius bar for a problem with my iPhone, earlier this year, I got an appointment right away. It's frustrating that there are non-stop pickup appointments available if I were to buy a new product, but nothing available for the product I already own.

leechers

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
Hi Belle,

I am so sorry that you had to suffer from terrible support. I can understand how frustrating it can be and being calm in a moment like this is more than impossible. What you went through, no one should and again I am so sorry.

I too had a similar problem with my display and did not recieve any updates for my Macbook for over 6 weeks... Needless so say support was lacking and I hate to see you in the same situation. Only after speaking to a senior technical advisor, who individually called the service provider and the service centre for repair, did I see a response. Let's try and see if we can get anything done.

Firstly; what do you know about the current status of the MacBook? From what I can read, it is currently with you, but please correct me if I am wrong.

Secondly; try contacting Apple's technical support team. I do not know which country you are from, so I cannot immediately provide a phone number, so a quick Google should bring up the correct number.

Thirdly; before you speak to them, write your story just as you have above, but try to add more emotion. Apple phone support staff are trained to pick up words that carry high amounts of emotion such as angst, distress, upset, 'let down', helpless, etc. Tell them about the problem with key not working and how this wasn't the condition you gave the MacBook in. Address how hurt you are and how you feel that you have been stolen from regarding time and money. After this hopefully the advisor will escalate this to a senior technical advisor (they hold more privileges). If not, request to speak to someone senior. I understand it is hard to not get angry, but try your best to be friendly.

Fourth; request a solution from the advisor. Ask them what they can offer and what they would do if they were in your position. A good advisor will try to alleviate your concerns at any cost.

I understand that this may sound like a repeat of what you have done already, but the technical support team is something else - they are much better at getting things done.

I hope this helps and please keep us updated. If you have any frustrations or require any help, please let us know.

belle14

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
Hi Belle,

I am so sorry that you had to suffer from terrible support. I can understand how frustrating it can be and being calm in a moment like this is more than impossible. What you went through, no one should and again I am so sorry.

I too had a similar problem with my display and did not recieve any updates for my Macbook for over 6 weeks... Needless so say support was lacking and I hate to see you in the same situation. Only after speaking to a senior technical advisor, who individually called the service provider and the service centre for repair, did I see a response. Let's try and see if we can get anything done.

Firstly; what do you know about the current status of the MacBook? From what I can read, it is currently with you, but please correct me if I am wrong.

Secondly; try contacting Apple's technical support team. I do not know which country you are from, so I cannot immediately provide a phone number, so a quick Google should bring up the correct number.

Thirdly; before you speak to them, write your story just as you have above, but try to add more emotion. Apple phone support staff are trained to pick up words that carry high amounts of emotion such as angst, distress, upset, 'let down', helpless, etc. Tell them about the problem with key not working and how this wasn't the condition you gave the MacBook in. Address how hurt you are and how you feel that you have been stolen from regarding time and money. After this hopefully the advisor will escalate this to a senior technical advisor (they hold more privileges). If not, request to speak to someone senior. I understand it is hard to not get angry, but try your best to be friendly.

Fourth; request a solution from the advisor. Ask them what they can offer and what they would do if they were in your position. A good advisor will try to alleviate your concerns at any cost.

I understand that this may sound like a repeat of what you have done already, but the technical support team is something else - they are much better at getting things done.

I hope this helps and please keep us updated. If you have any frustrations or require any help, please let us know.

Thank you for your very helpful reply!

Yes, the MacBook is back with me. I had just picked it up to use it for the first time when I realised that something felt loose and turned it over to find the lower case was not attached properly.

I did already speak to a senior advisor when it went missing and that is how I received a call from the service centre. Is the only way to deal with this phoning support? I am a bit loathe to spend more hours on the phone than I already have, not least because I am seriously behind in a work project from being without a working MacBook. I am in the UK.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I gave up on the AppleCare call in service a long time ago. My suggestion would be to go to a store and ask for a manager. Tell the manager you realize that your issue is with the service center but that they have been unresponsive to you, that you are tired of waiting time on fruitless calls, and that you are hoping he could either direct you to someone of authority or intercede for you.

If that doesn't work I would contact Tim Cooks office. Obviously he won't respond, but his office has it's own customer service, as most consumer product company executives have. When you contact them just give them the facts and how exasperated you are, and how patient you've been. Don't go on a rant. Short and sweet is always best to get the attention you want.

Reactions: BillyBobBongo

belle14

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
I gave up on the AppleCare call in service a long time ago. My suggestion would be to go to a store and ask for a manager. Tell the manager you realize that your issue is with the service center but that they have been unresponsive to you, that you are tired of waiting time on fruitless calls, and that you are hoping he could either direct you to someone of authority or intercede for you.

If that doesn't work I would contact Tim Cooks office. Obviously he won't respond, but his office has it's own customer service, as most consumer product company executives have. When you contact them just give them the facts and how exasperated you are, and how patient you've been. Don't go on a rant. Short and sweet is always best to get the attention you want.

I might need to try that second option. I would take it to a store but my nearest store is a 100 mile round trip for me and I am travelling with work next week so I wouldn't be able to get to it until I return unless I take it to a different store while I'm travelling.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I might need to try that second option. I would take it to a store but my nearest store is a 100 mile round trip for me and I am travelling with work next week so I wouldn't be able to get to it until I return unless I take it to a different store while I'm travelling.

Yeah, #2 sounds better. Tcook@apple.com BTW

belle14

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
If anyone is interested in what happened next...

On Monday morning I received an email from Executive Relations asking to speak to me by phone. Unfortunately I was travelling/on business during their operating hours so could not speak to them until today. I was asked for the name of the service centre it went to so that they could follow up (seems like this could have been done by email on Monday...) and I will hear more next week. So, still no resolution. And still having issues with my MBP despite another format of the SSD/ clean install of macOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.