Best way to extend wireless signal on a 12" powerbook...?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by wangchunggti337, Jan 25, 2007.

1. wangchunggti337 macrumors regular

wangchunggti337

I live where there are city-wide WiFi connections. I actually live a block or two from one of the routers. The only problem is that my powerbook 12" has the hardest time picking up a signal, in fact I often have a hard time picking up wireless signals unless I'm right near them.

I realize this is one fault of the 12-banger, but it's almost as if mine sucks more than usual. Anyways, I know there is a way to extend the wireless capabilities. I've seen hacks where an antenna is actually soldered on, which is a route I would rather not take. If I had a windows machine there are several USB adapters to extend the range. Are there any of these that will work with a Mac?

Or, are there any other options?

Thanks for the help

2. wangchunggti337 thread starter macrumors regular

wangchunggti337

3. rcn macrumors newbie

Maybe you can buy an Access Point for yourself that has the possibility to attach an external antenna to it. I would research this option.

If you find no other options, try this:

put a conductor-material sheet behind your computer. The bigger, the better. For example the situation would be:

Access Point ... Your computer ... Conductor-material Sheet

If you find the optimun distance between the conductor sheet and your computer, you could enlarge your range up to 40% in the very best case. That distance depends on where the antenna is inside the computer and the components on it so I cannot give you an exact number.

If you have two conductor sheets, put them together in a 90º angle and put your computer in the 45º line facing the AP. The optimun distance to the conductor sheets could double your range in the very best case.