Best way to fully uninstall Applications?

Discussion in 'OS X' started by AdiosVista, Oct 28, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

First time Mac user, so I apologize for the dumb question. Should be pretty easy to answer for anyone who has used Leopard for any amount of time.

I've figured out that I can just drag certain applications into the trash to uninstall them but I sometimes find that there are still cache and other folders left over, mainly in the application support folders. What is the best method, or program, that you would recommend for uninstalling apps? Thank you.

2. macrumors 6502

pwn247

There are a number of free utilities for this (and, of course, some payware ones too).

I use AppZapper ($12.95, from http://www.appzapper.com/ ). Whenever I need to get rid of an application, I just drag it into AppZapper, and it- literally- zaps! all other contents with that app (with a super-freaking-cool sound effect). :D

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Looks pretty handy, thanks! Any free alternatives?

4. Moderator emeritus

yellow

Generally speaking, the detritus leftover is very small and does not negatively impact the performance of your system. So, you really don't need to worry too much about it.

5. macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

What if you decide you dont want appzapper anymore and need to ZAP it? Can it consume itself? :p

6. macrumors 6502a

eluk

AppDelete

7. macrumors 6502

chrisandersen

What if you have already deleted the app by putting in trash. How can you go back and see if anything is left over?

8. macrumors 6502a

chilipie

If the application's sitting in the trash, just drag it back to the Applications folder and run AppZapper/AppDelete.

9. macrumors 6502a

riscy

You can also look at AppTrap which is very free.

10. macrumors 65816

rychencop

drag the app to the trash and then secure empty the trash. it'll get rid of it.

11. macrumors 6502

You can zap its preference and cache files, and thrash the .app itself.