Best way to get out of AT&T contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by edtorious, Jan 10, 2011.

1. macrumors 65816

edtorious

I'm just curious, what is the best way for me to get out of AT&T contract? Or how much ETF do I have to pay when I just upgraded last year of August for another 2 years? I know that it's still not sure if iPhone will go to Verizon but if they do announce it tomorrow, I'm thinking of switching. :cool:

2. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You need to call them to figure out what your ETF will be. No one here can tell you exactly.

3. Moderator emeritus

grapes911

This. Alternatively, it should be spelled out in the contract you signed. If you want to estimate it, I think its approximately $325 minus $10 for each month since you signed it.

4. macrumors 6502

5. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Agreed, call at&t and ask.

6. macrumors 6502a

There is no way to get out of your contract without lying, and you can bet now AT&T will be more protective of their contracts than ever.

Pay the ETF and move on.

7. macrumors 6502a

Just sell you iphone4, pay the ETF, and get a subsidize verizon iphone, you might be able to break even.

8. macrumors 68030

[​IMG]

9. thread starter macrumors 65816

edtorious

this is probably i'll do. :p

10. macrumors 603

saving107

the only way one can get out of an AT&T contract without paying anything is if they change the terms and conditions of your contract, then you are allowed a small window of opportunity (a few weeks) to cancel your contract, by not canceling, you are agreeing to the new Terms.

but this doesn't happen that often and if the Verizon iPhone does get announced tomorrow, I highly doubt that AT&T will be making any changes to the Terms anytime soon.

I agree with others, the best option is to sell your iPhone 4, pay the ETF and move on.

11. macrumors 68000

topmounter

Go to your local AT&T store and demand to speak to the store's vice president in charge of customer service.

12. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    Without committing fraud, pay the ETF and continue life.

13. macrumors 68000

Don't be afraid to lie. They are a company, not a court, not a priest, but a company. Look out for your interests and do what you have to do, no chance that they wouldn't do the same thing to you.

I actually had Sprint pay me to leave their network I was such a pain. Any hickup, any dropped call, any missed text, any dead zone, call and complain.

14. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Doesn't matter if it is a company or not, it's fraud and illegal.

15. macrumors member

I recommend calling a customer service rep and telling them that you died. They probably wont put 2 and 2 together (since you are the one calling).

16. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Sell your iPhone 4 and pay the ETF. You can make more than enough to cover it.

17. macrumors 68000

Dramatic much? They are a company, a company that would screw you blind if they could, turn around is fair play.

18. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I'm sorry you're right. Why should you honor a contract you signed? Let's just fraud our way out of it because we don't want to be a part anymore. The big bad company forced us into the contract, so it's all good.

19. macwh0re, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2011

macrumors member

Wow, you're awesome. Let me know the day you own a business. I would love to be a customer of yours. It's people like you who drive UP the cost of goods and services. Every time you call in and complain, you are costing your telco roughly $8 a call, no wonder why Sprint "paid" you leave. More than likely, you were part of the Sprint breaks up with high maintenance customers ordeal.

Essentially, you are stealing. You know, service isn't guaranteed, with ANY carrier. Now I could understand if there was an outage in your neighborhood, which took a few days to fix, but complaining about dead zones? Go to your local town hall meetings and vote to have a tower put up. Ever think of having your voice be heard in a positive way? Perhaps helping make other people's experience better in addition to yours, rather than ripping off companies who provide you with a luxury.

And to get dumped by Sprint lol.. A company who has posted record loss after record loss

20. macrumors 68000

I'm here to do what is best for me, period. No one is going to look out for you but you.

Call it what you want, but I sleep very well at night.

21. macrumors regular

Wow, I guess you guys have never been screwed by a huge company. It will come one day, sooner than later.

22. macrumors 68000

They don't honor their contracts why should I? Think what they would do to you if they didn't have regulation breathing down their necks.

OP - lots of good options here. The least time consuming sounds like selling your att phone for the ETF fee cash. There are other options though.

23. macrumors regular

This. I think it was like last year, Sprint was making tons of changes to their TOS. If anyone wanted to terminate early, they could simply not agree to the new changes.

24. macrumors regular

You easiest route would be to fork out the ETF and sell your phone. Good Luck

25. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

How are they not? Do they guarantee service everywhere? Do they promise 100% availability and no problems - no, no one can.