Best way to get video from iMac/iBook to televion?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by CoffeeMonkey, Aug 16, 2003.

1. CoffeeMonkey macrumors regular

I don't know if the solution to this is hardware or software, but I'm looking for the best way to get good-looking video from an iMac or iBook to a televion.

I've tried using Apple's AV cable, which plugs in to the video RCA jack on a tv but that doesn't get very good results.

If I was using a PC, I'd just get a video card with a good tv-out port, but as I can't upgrade the video card in either an iBook or iMac, I'm can't figure out what to do. Do I need something like the Formac Studio?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

What kind of video are you trying to play? DVDs, stuff you got off the net, home movies...?

Lethal

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Apple sells a little dongle that plugs into the mini-VGA port. It transfers the signal to both s-video and RCA... The only other thing you'd need is a cable that takes headphone output and converts it to RCA.

Also, on a TV, the video isn't suppossed to be good. Most TVs have a resolution of 200x150 (4:3) (NTSC) or 200x200 (4:4) (PAL and SECAM). Whereas your iBook is sending a signal for 800x600+, it will look fuzzy and unreadable. Its best to only use the TV for games and DVD because of this problem.

TEG