Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
So I have all the Bond films ripped from my DVDs (Eventually) and I was wondering whats the best way of grouping them all together in iTunes, I've tried setting them as a compilation, but thats not working.

Any ideas?

bond007hmss

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2008
There are a couple of different methods you can try. You can try changing the titles to something like: James Bond 01: Dr. No., and so on. or you can try creating a specialized genre such as Action/Spy/Bond. and then just sort the films this way. This will only work in list view though, the first method should work in any view.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
So I have all the Bond films ripped from my DVDs (Eventually) and I was wondering whats the best way of grouping them all together in iTunes, I've tried setting them as a compilation, but thats not working.

Any ideas?

A few ideas. If you want to just name them what they are (Dr. No, GoldenEye, Moonraker, etc.), best idea is to create a standard playlist and drag them all there...OR you could create one, put the Artist (or another field) as "James Bond" and then do a smart playlist.

You could also name them "James Bond - Dr. No," "James Bond - From Russia with Love," etc. Then they will list together in your Movies list. If you want them in order, you can either do the standard playlist thing and order them yourself, put the year in and sort the playlist via that, or call them "James Bond 1 - Dr. No," etc.

I just have all of my movies named what they are and have a few movie playlists for series (Bond, Indy Jones, Back to the Future, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings).

Tomorrow, kids, we can spend 2 hours on how to organize 500GB of TV shows.

heyadol

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2004
coastal
You could always use the "Sorting" tab. That way, you could name your movie whatever you want and label them in the order you would like in the "Sort Name" box. After that, even if you sort by name in the main iTunes window they will still show in the correct order (ie. it will override the alphanumerical for those particular items).

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,019

Non-Euclidean

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2012
Houston, TX
You could always use the "Sorting" tab. That way, you could name your movie whatever you want and label them in the order you would like in the "Sort Name" box. After that, even if you sort by name in the main iTunes window they will still show in the correct order (ie. it will override the alphanumerical for those particular items).

Perfect, Thank You

I needed it for my Rambo movies in the Action category, and when I get around to my Bonds and Palmers in Spy, it will be used there.

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Thanks to this forum, I learnt about iFLicks yesterday. Ive downloaded their free 15 day trial app and i can now drag my ripped DVD's into iFlicks and it creates artwork for the DVD cover image.

Ive started to put my rips into iTunes and it looks a lot more professional with the new artwork than before. They now look like ive bought them from iTunes Store. They also appear this way on my iPhone5. iFlicks is a great app.

ScreenShotiTunes.png

iPhone.png

Last edited:

4kids4me

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2014
Sorting

I am using the sorting field which is awesome but when I have 10 or more then it doesn't put them after 9 how can I fix this?

Thanks

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
You'd probably have to start with 01 instead of 1.

That's what I'd go with - it's a straight-up alphabetic sort, and that's what I use to group all of my "series" movies. I haven't tried the method of using the album field - are there any advantages to using that rather than just the sorting field?

hpman77

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2014
Organizing Movie Series in Itunes that Actually Works...Mostly

So a little trick I have found is that you can use the "sort Name" field in the sorting tab in the "Get Info" and organize them that way...Now here are the caveats...
1. Put your series in order, which I was doing successfully by naming them numerically
Batman.1, batman.2.batman.retuns
2. Right click and get to the "Get Info" screen.
3. Click on the Sorting Tab
4. Enter a logical Series name and numerical value in the "Sort Name" field.
batman.1 and then for batman returns...batman.2
5. Change the names of the original movies to delete the numerical value..as soon as you start to change the names, Itunes will automatically reorganize by sort name field...
NOW COMES THE CAVEAT
6. After you have done this, Itunes will use this field to organize your movies...now at first that doesnt sound too bad...here is an example where it screwed up my OCD beautifully organized collection...
Bruce Almighty and Evan Almighty...technically a series..so i used Almighty.1 and almighty.2 for the sort name...well now they are in the "A"s in my collection since Itunes uses the sort name field now instead of the title...
7. So the take away from this...I would use it for the big series, but just be careful

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.