Best way to learn FCS

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by iMacZealot, Feb 14, 2007.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I have Final Cut Express 3.5, and I'm planning on upgrading to Final Cut Studio by the end of the month. I feel a little over my head, so I'd like to take a class or read a book or something about it. Where's the best place to take a class? I was thinking about attending a workshop at the Apple store since pro training is over my budget as well.

What do you think?

2. editoola macrumors newbie

Learning Final Cut

Try checking out www.lynda.com
    That's what I did and I've learned a lot, very fast.
    It's $25 a month with no contract, and they have tutorials that will teach you tons. Check their website for the details.

3. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

If you are already familiar with FCE, you should have a fairly easy time transitioning to FCS. Except for all of the extra apps that come bundled with FCS, FCP and FCE (man, so many acronyms...) are very similar. If I were you, I would look at which programs that come bundled with FCS you want to learn first and pick up the Apple Pro Training series for those programs. I have been checking those books out from my school's library and they have been really helpful.

Also, the tutorials and manuals that come bundled with the software are extremely helpful. It's not like most pro apps where the documentation is completely confusing. Go through the supplied tutorials, visit sites like http://www.creativecow.net and http://www.kenstone.net frequently and you should do fine.

Good Luck.

P-Worm

4. Mydriasis macrumors 6502

Mydriasis

There is also a training DVD bundled with FCS that covers a lot of basic techniques in each app but it also shows you how to use them together to get great results.

Like most apple apps, the FCS apps are intuitive and easy to learn. :)

5. sturigdson macrumors regular

Very much agree. The tutorials in FCS are really comprehensive and useful. In fact, even though i use FCS daily, i sometimes go back to the tutorials for a brushup, and am consistently impressed with their clarity and depth. There's almost no need for classes or anything.

I'd also recommend getting familiar with the Manuals and the Help menu. i've done most of my learning on my own just looking up things when i have a question.

Don't be too intimidated. if you're coming from FCE, you're well-prepared.