Best way to learn HTML

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CaptainCaveMann, Dec 19, 2004.

1. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Whats the best way to learn "the code" haha.. Im finding that this could be very useful to me in many ways :D

2. haiggy macrumors 65816

Well, you can search google for useful HTML tags. There also used to be a program called "HTML Dictionary" with almost all the tags you need. Also, just find a simple HTML page or any page and view the source to get the idea of what it looks like and what type of tags you need.

3. slightly macrumors regular

slightly

Try to find a site which has been W3C XHTML validated (look for the badge at the bottom), as it's often the cleanest code. Don't learn from a Dreamweaver- or Fireworks- generated site, as it's often a mess of tables which adds up to a nice-looking site, but won't make any sense as code.

Matt

4. Poeben macrumors 6502

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

To start it also can also help with a wysiwyg editor, like Macromedia Dreamweaver or Mozilla Composer, and make simple pages. If you do this and then look at the code it should be quite easy to get a grip on the basics. If the editor supports a dual mode wher you can se both the code and how it will render at the same time that's even better (I know Dreamweaver does this, but I'm not sure about Composer).

This is how I started learning html. Now I just use any text editor and validate my pages through w3c's validator, and use the HTML Home Page when I have to look something up...

Also, check out the code of pages you like, using View -> Page Source (I'm using Firefox, I think it's the same command in Safari).

I agree with slightly that tables might not the best design tool, but don't throw away the editors. You can still learn a lot of html, and then you can throw them away... ;)

6. booksacool1 macrumors 6502

I always learn my stuff through books, and for html there is one book that I really really liked. Its called "HTML for the world wide web" By Elizabeth Castro printed by Peachpit press. I don't like online tutorials because starring at a screen for hours is darn annoying and you can't look at the tutorial and the webpage your making at the same time.

7. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

Well, the "best way" would depend on you actually. I don't know how you learn. Some people can teach themselves, some people need hand holding, and some people need both. Also, it is not only learning HTML is it learning how to get the HTML on a web server and work. Alot people jump into this and run into a wall, because they can't get it to work on a web server.

8. rccola70 macrumors regular

I learned using Teach Yourself VISUALLY - HTML its got step-by-step follow throughs and color screenshots. I picked it up one day browsing at the local Barnes & Nobles.

9. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

I would like to recommend webmonkey.com. It's got amazing tutorials and examples, and I haven't been there in a while, but I think the site is separated into Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced sections. Good luck with the HTML! :D

Edit: Sorry, it's separated into Beginner, Builder, and Master sections. I just checked it out, and it's still super easy and helpful! :)

10. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

webmonkey.com and pagetutor.com

page tutor is where i learnt it, i now use dreamweaver. :(

11. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

i found this tutorial to be very helpful and easy to follow. only problem is, it's a bit out of date (June 2000), so maybe it's not the best choice anymore...
    I liked it because it actually walks you through making a small website rather than spitting out tags at you and what they do.

reality