Best way to output sound into NAD/B&W stereo

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by itsthedirtybird, May 13, 2005.

1. itsthedirtybird macrumors newbie

I have imported all of my CDs with apples lossless format and would like to know the best peripheral or card to run clean stereo sound from an iMac or a G4 into my NAD components which run into top of the line B&W in walls ($1400) a pair. I know I will never get sound as good as a top of the line CD player but its nice to be able to have playlists for parties and such. Can someone direct me to what would be the best way to go from the mac to RCAs. Thanks :)

2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

What kind of Mac do you have. You might be able to go straight digital to a digital decoder. This will beat the RCAs any day, and you really shouldn't notice the diffrence between CDA and ALE, actualy I would defi you too.

3. Yebot macrumors 6502

Yebot

If the NAD equipment can accept a digital audio input via SPDIF (usually an orange or black RCA jack on the back of the receiver/amp) then you might want to get a usb-to-SPDIF converter or install say a PCI audio card that has SPDIF out.

The key to good sound here is that you're letting the NAD do the digital-to-analog conversion as opposed to letting the Mac do it.

Analog RCA runs pick up noise.

4. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Perhaps this (just a simple idea). If the computer already has an airport of wireless connection, then get and Airport Express and use the optical out (you will need a kit) to TOSLink to your receiver (if it has optical).

Otherwise, as mentioned by Yebot, get a good soundcard (for your G4 Tower or 17" PB). I recommend Echo Audio if price is no option. I love those guys. It's even possible to their facility and talk to the engineers. Their sound cards have a very low noise floor (none for all intents an purposes). I also have used the same sound card , MONA , for years with out any problems (on a PC).

Other wise, you looking at somebody posting their expierence with a USB based (for an old iMac) D to A converter.

5. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

What you wanna do my good man is introduce a DAC. Get Airport Express as aforementioned by someone and slap in a DAC. Let that convert the signal for you. It will blow your budget NAD out of the water! I have a pure LINN set up to amplify my Express signal. Google it!