Best way to record voice only

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by kinvoda, Jan 31, 2007.

1. kinvoda macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I know there are several threads on music recording but I want to know if there might be a "shortcut" way to do this since I only want to record my voice reading my notes since I'll be doing a lot of driving this weekend and figure it might help me on my upcoming test. What program would be best served for this purpose, and would it let me just plug in a mic, hit record and be off? and will it easily transfer into iTunes.

Apologies from an Accounting Major who is just now starting to get into the coolest parts of his Macbook,
    Ryan A

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

There's a way to use Garageband to do just that, but I find it to be annoyingly complex.

I paid the upgrade fee for QuickTime Pro, and it's cake to use that - open QuickTime, choose File->New Audio Recording, and you're all set. It'll also let you record movies the same way, using the built-in iSight (or other attached camera).

Your MacBook's built-in mic should work just fine in most cases, by the way.

3. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

Doesn't your macbook have a built in mic? If not, Logitech makes a usb mic that costs like $10. You can use this free program to record:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Get the 1.3.2 beta version. Many bug fixes, esp for Mac.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Open quicktime player and then go to file>New Audio Recording. That should do what you want.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Nice. "Free" trumps the $25 QT Pro upgrade fee (although I also use it for video clip recordings, etc.).

6. BigPrince macrumors 68020

I disagree. It is very simple to do in Garageband.

1. Open Garageband
    2. File New --->a menu will appear, pick "A New Podcast Episode"
    3. Delete the extra tracks, just keep male or female voice, then press record.
    4. Save file
    5. Export to iTunes.
    6. Done and free and very simple and no third party program needed.

I do this to record board meetings and it comes out CD-Qaulity. I once had to submit a copy to a Stenographer and she was very impressed with the quality of it. You can also export these to iPods. In your case the built in mic will be more then enough for this.

7. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I think this is only in Quicktime Pro...
    I'd go with the Audacity suggestion.

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

you mean in 44.1/16?

9. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

:eek: That's what I use. I'm embarrassed that I had to run the app to double check that that is what I use and to see what version I'm using. I think it's simpler to use than Garageband.

10. Mandydeth macrumors newbie

Hate to necro this, but I'd like to toss in that Word has a pretty nice sound recording addition on it. Simply click the audio box and then record.

11. SFXsource macrumors newbie

SFXsource