Best way to rip a DVD?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacAztec, Feb 20, 2004.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I was wondering the best way to rip a DVD (to a DivX, MP4, whatever) file on to my Mac.

We are thinking about buying an EyeTV Set-Top box, and it would be awesome to have ripped DVDs in my Movie folder, and the EyeTV can play them.

I know about Forty-Two. The VX version seems to be best, but I am sure there are more powerful/faster ways.

Maybe ripping with OSeX, and then encoding with ffMpegX?

Let me know whats best!

By the way, I have a G4 500MHz with 1GB RAM. I know it will take a while to do this, so I am looking for a fast option too.

2. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

DVD2oneX -- Best way to rip a DVD

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11518

DVD2oneX 1.3

by: Erwin van den Berg

DVD2oneX can make movie-only and full disk copies for personal use on a single DVD-Recordable. Features include:
    World's fastest video compression engine. Process a movie to fit on a single recordable in a matter of 15 to 30 minutes (depending on the speed of your computer).
    Makes movies-only copies. Why waste space and image quality on unnecessary intros, menus and language tracks?
    Makes also full disk copies. For those who want to keep those fancy menus and intros.
    Written from scratch, it's not based on any old code, libraries or existing opensource projects.
    Time critical parts written in assembly, for the highest possible speed.
    Burn the movie with your favorite recording software.

What's New:
    Version 1.3:
    Same new engine features as DVD2one V1.4.0
    Fixed a small problem with default subtitle selection in movie-only mode.

Requirements:
    Mac OS X 10.2.2 or later.

3. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

DVD2oneX 1.3

Attached Files:

4. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

No, I want to put the Disc in my computer, then make like a 1GB .AVI or .MP4 file in movie folder. The file will be the encoded movie.

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

If you can somehow use the VIDEO_TS folder, you can use DVD Backup to get it on your HD. You have to open DVD Player or VLC etc. for it to get the encryption key though. Then encode at will. Maybe QuickTime Pro could do it...

6. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

DVDbackup has worked well for me (ibook 800 640MB)

makes loverly copies, maintains chapters, and lets you change/remove region encoding.

7. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Is there an easy patch around region coding to read dvds from other codes once you drive is locked? We have no law against region coding, just the opposite for drives, but Apple still ship with drives that lock.

8. macabre macrumors newbie

Forty-TwoDVD-VXPlus

For what you need it for Forty-TwoDVD-VXPlus is probably the easiest solution. It is worth the money for the different compression modes and the quality of the avi it produces. I really don't think there is an easier or faster way to do it. And, yes, it will take a while, but it is something you can do in the background. You may have to use dvd backup first to remove copy protection.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I think you need to use a firmware patch, that's what I had to do with my iBook. On the other hand, with my Power Mac, I've get 2 drives, one set to R1 and one to R4. The really weird thing is I can put an R1 movie in my R1 drive, start playing it, eject it, put it in the R4 drive, choose to resume playback where I left off, and it'll play! But I'm amazed that Apple can get away with shipping locked drives, it breaches the NZ import laws (customers have a right to import goods and must not be prevented doing so etc etc).

10. GigaWire macrumors 6502

I use VLC Media Player 7 to play extra-region DVDs on my locked drive

11. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

The drive isn't locked when it gets here, but after 5 plays it is. Pressure from hollywood.

12. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

Pioneer 8x Region sets 1 or 4, change 5 times then locks

Don't you mean - after 5 changes in code, it locks?
    :confused:
    When I first installed my new Pioneer DVR-A07 8x DVD SuperDrive internally last week, a menu popped up asking me to select a region and advising me that I could change Region code 5 times more before it permanently locks. But the choice was only between Regions 1 or 4. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know about a brace modification for a G4 dual 1GHz QuickSilver to get rid of the small Zip box and replace it with a half-size box identical to the top Laser Drive box for a 2nd SuperDrive. The exterior drawer door is there, but the internal brace has to be modified to provide enough room. I'd like to keep the original Pioneer DVR-104PB 2x and install it under the new 8x SuperDrive, but it just won't fit. :mad:
    Wonder if the brace and drive boxes inside the case of a Mirrored Double Door would work. Any techs out there who know?

13. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Re: Pioneer 8x Region sets 1 or 4, change 5 times then locks

No, you might be right. Still has the same outcome though, I don't mix regiosnso I don't lock myself out of my local.

:(

14. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Re: Pioneer 8x Region sets 1 or 4, change 5 times then locks

I've seen it done, and I think there's a link in that thread about modding a G5...

15. bmorris macrumors 6502

bmorris

DVDs

I've got a Mac mini with Plex.
    I want to make copies of all my DVDs.
    Is it possible to keep the extras? (deleted scenes, gag reel, etc.)

That's what sucks about buying from iTunes and renting from iTunes,
    no extras, just movie file.

16. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Wow, reviving a 4.5 year old thread...is that a record?

Kudos to actually using the Search feature I guess.