best way to rip an entire website for editing in dreamweaver?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thevessels, Apr 22, 2005.

1. thevessels macrumors regular

Apr 6, 2004
    ok so i got the dreamweaver trail - and want to edit my friends website for fun and to get to my feet wet in webdeign ...

but i dont know how to open a website off the web and start playin around with it in dreamweaver?

im sorry im so retarded with stuff like this . but web design is pretty new to me .

can anyone give me some pointers on how i can start editing an already made web page all uploaded and functional - with dreamweaver?

thanks guys !

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Firefox lets you save an entire webpage, with all images and scripts... but for an entire site I think you need stronger stuff... try Versiontracker...
  3. Towel macrumors newbie

Nov 27, 2003
    Specifically, search versiontracker for "wget". wget is a UNIX utility that downloads all of the files associated with a webpage, and will follow links to whatever depth you specify. It can quickly fetch a mirror of an entire site. Versiontracker has several applications that put a friendly GUI wrapper around wget.
  4. scan300 macrumors 6502

Mar 25, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    You need access to the website's source folders. Usually an ftp location. If it's a .Mac website you can just copy the files off the mounted iDisk folder.

In any case you will need an administrator access to these locations. Your friend may have the access detals, or the administrator of the site, eg the isp.

If you don't know what I'm talking about then you might need a beginners course for web authoring, or to latch on to a physical human being who knows this stuff. This could take a long time with discussion boards.

You can access the source code of the site if it has been created from static html pages. The quick and dirty way is to browse a page and select view source from the View menu in Safari, or equivalent in another browser. You can save that text file to your hard disk with a .htm or .html suffix and then open it in Dreamweaver and start experimenting. But you won't be able to upload back to the website with this method.

You also won't have all the linked images. You can drag and drop them to your hard disk from your browser and relink them to your html page in Dreamweaver.

Of course this is a slow and tedious process. There is software which will download whole sites to your hard disk eg Webdumper

There's a lot to learn. A book might also be helpful in getting you set-up.
    Apart from learning how to make a web page you need to learn about file paths and how they are related to URLs and you need to learn some basics about web-servers --- at the very least.

There are also plenty of web sites that can instruct you in the basics of html etc. Macormedia's web site will have resources to help you as well as Dreamveaver's on help system and manuals.
  5. DavidFDM macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2002
    Maine, USA
    Use "Manage Sites" in Dreamweaver. Enter the ftp info and then let Dreamweaver pull it all down. It works very nicely.
  6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Tried wget on Towel's recommendation (I got the command line version installed) and it actually works great, but since I tried it a php it downloaded A LOT... but on a site with html pages it should work...

Use wget -r -l 5 where 5 is the number of levels links are followed...
  7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Couple of things:
    If you do get the FTP username and password from your friend BE CAREFUL! You have the ability to modify or destroy thir public site. Make very sure you Know what you are doing so you don't inadvertently upload any of your modified files. In fact I would say DON'T enter the FTP information into Dreamweaver, but use a third-party FTP program do download the site files.

If you use SiteSucker or wget or any other variant: you will get the files, but you will not get any of the server side technology -- so if parts of the site depend on cgi's, php, includes or other methods, you will likely not see that on your machine in Dreamweaver.

Also: Any time you are contemplating downloading a site, remember that all of the files and images on the site are copyrighted. If you "repurpose" any of the files and display them publicly, you have trod on someone's (maybe several someones') rights. Please obtain permission from all copyright holders before reusing anyones work.