Best way to sell a used car?

Discussion in 'Community' started by QCassidy352, Jun 29, 2005.

1. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Keeping my car would be a huge expense and totally unnecessary when I move to the middle of D.C. for school next year, so I'm going to sell it by the end of the summer. What are some good ways to sell it? To a friend (unlikely)? Online (like ebay motors)? Take out ads? Trading it in is obviously not an option since I don't want any car at all next year. Thanks!

2. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    do you guys have printed Autotrader magazines there? Friends of mine have had pretty good sucess with that. the online option works good too.
    remember ebay's service charge...

3. mac-er macrumors 65816

4. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Drop it in a bad part of town, torch it and call it stolen

:rolleyes: :cool:

5. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    buddy got caught doing that (he left his keys in the car), 4 days in jail, 6 months probation and a $2500 fine.

6. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I always trade in my cars because its much easier and faster than selling them. But if you are looking to sell it I reccomend local classifieds in local newspapers or flyers as well as bigger newspapers. Putting it on Autotrader.com or Cars.com might be a good way of advertising. If you live on a fairly main road you can also put it out buy the street with a for sale sign on it. Write largely what the price, mileage, and your phone number is so people can easily read the sign w/o getting out of there car.

I would stay away from eBay motors- there are so many cars and theres probably always a better deal, also dealing with fraudulent people, and people who never pay is a pain.

Good Luck

7. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Thanks for all the great advice! This place looks pretty promising, assuming they are as legit as you say. :)

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Your comments are surprising since you commented about camera purchases. You want to buy at the cheapest price, but sell at the highest price. All the service and support without paying the price for it.

If you want the best deal, then sell it on your own. Then deal with the phone calls and the test drives. And when someone comes back to to you about a small issue - then have to deal with it. What you saved buying your camera, you might spend selling your car.

9. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Heh. Of course I want to buy low and sell high. Maybe you like to do the reverse? ;)

But I don't want or need all the service and support on a camera. I know that I'm giving up a certain measure of security in going the cheaper route, but I understand the risks and accept them.

As far as selling my car, I'm not looking to squeeze every possible dollar out of it, and I'm not sure what gave you the idea that I was. I mean, of course I want a fair price, but I'm willing to sacrifice a certain amount of profit for simplicity's sake.

I'm simply not worried about needing support for a camera. Maybe that will bite me one day, and maybe not. I'm willing to gamble. But as far as the car goes, I don't know what I'm doing re: selling it (hence this thread), and what I'm looking for is an option that gives me a decent balance of value and convenience. I'm not sure why you see the two issues (camera and car) as related.