Best way to set a OSX network without airport...

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by alkil47, May 4, 2003.

1. alkil47 macrumors member

Hi guys

My house mate and I want to set up a mac OSX network through our house , we have four mac's (G4 x 3 , G3 x 1) to network and we want them all to be able to link up share files , play network games and surf the net through our cable connection . We would like to do this with out using air port . Do we use a hub or a router ? I have looked on the apple site and they only talk about airport . Which is the best way to do this links and named products for hubs or router would be great.

Cheers

A

2. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Buy...

Buy a Linksys 8-Port Switch. Well, are you going to be using internet over them? If so, buy an 8-Port EtherFast Router (or maybe a 4 port).

Then, if you want to plug in your Cable Internet to the Router, you plug it into the WAN port. Then, buy some Ethernet Cable from somewhere (or make your own if you know how) and plug each computer into its own port.

3. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Router would work
    Cable modem --> Router --->
    ----------------------computer 'a'
    ----------------------computer 'b'
    etc...

4. alkil47 thread starter macrumors member

We all want to see the net , will that allow file sharing as well , found one at a place near me

here

so we can all plug our ethernet cables into this linksys 8 which plugs into our into a dsl modem ? which will give us all file sharing, internet ?

It say nothing about mac's in the spec , is that ok do you know that it work with mac's?

5. Zeke macrumors 6502

You definitely want a router (and make sure it has a built in switch, not a hub). I have a Linksys BEFSR41 and it works really well. Another option is if you want to have one of your computers act as a router but I think this wouldn't really be very economical since 4 port routers are pretty cheap. This will allow file sharing (and gaming) and allow everyone to access the internet. Keep in mind though that you will have to run cables from the router to each computer so if they're really far apart you'll have a problem. I run mine through the attic and dropped them through the walls but it's my house and I don't want them through the halls. It's all up to you.

Edit: It will work with the Mac. The only thing that doesn't work with the mac is the anti-virus software that comes with the router. No problem since we don't have that problem. The instructions that come with them tell you how to set up the TCP/IP and DHCP settings so it shouldn't be a problem. Why do you want an 8 port with 4 computers. It just makes it much more expensive. A 4 port you can get for $50 US. Something to consider (I know an Xbox will take a port or whatever but he didn't mention that and it's just a lot of money).