Best way to set up my Hard drives with Final Cut Studio?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Timinator, May 5, 2006.

1. Timinator macrumors newbie

Hi, I just got my Final Cut Studio crossgrade a couple days ago. I haven't set up Final Cut Pro before, just express. I have an iMac G5 (see signature) with an internal 160gig HD, 50gig available before installation, and i have 2 external firewire Hard drives, one is a 300 with 70 available, the other a clean 200. I partitioned the 200 into a 45 gig, and whatever was left, 140 i think. I installed the extra templates and all on 45 gig partition. I set my scratch disk to the 140 gig "clean" partition. I'm just wondering if you guys can help me figure out the best way to set these drives up for performance and reliablility since I'm a little new to the multiple drive thing and the full Final Cut Studio. Thanks.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If possible, put the FCS templates/loops on the external HDD w/70gigs free and leave 1 drive for media only.

Lethal

3. Timinator thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick response. Yeah, the 70 gig available one is the media drive. What about scratch disk?

4. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

I'm going to be in the same position shortly, when Studio arrives on my doorstep, hopefully next week.

How much disk space is required for everything on the Studio disks?

During installation, does it give you the option to install the templates/loops etc to another location/drive or do you have to do this manually, by drag n' dropping folders across?

I only have the internal drive (with ~50Gb's free) and the external FW scratch disk (~70Gb free). I was going to install everything onto the internal disk and keep the external for scratch. Assuming I use the extras in my projects, would the performance still be OK?

5. Timinator thread starter macrumors newbie

The templates and loops i believe are supposed to take 42 gigs of space. Somewhere else had said 50...

There is an option to install the loops/templates separately BEFORE you actually start the install. I missed it the first time i tried. you have to actually click on the individual application names to reveal the list of what they have, and what can be installed elswhere. The installation booklet that comes with it tells how to do this...if i had read it first...

Your other questions...i'm in the same boat.

6. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Thanks.

I see I may need to start clearing out some old stuff, to make enough room. Another reason, in hindsight, why I should have gone for a PowerMac :eek:

7. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

My Studio box-set/boat-anchor arrived in the post last week. :cool:

Re-installed the iMac, to create some space and installed Studio so that the main apps and project files were on the main drive, Templates/Loops on my external USB drive and the scratch disk on the external FW drive. Seems to hum along nicely.

There's sooooo much more to get used to when moving up from FCP to Studio :eek: